ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195360 07/29/10 12:54 AM
Interesting that a virus/adware/malware/horse or whatever got into my laptop since last evening. Before everything basically 'locked up' a 'urgent-virus warning & something about last 10 days' which vanished before I could absorb the exact words.

Pop-ups with virus warnings, & a 'miracle software ranging $49 to $69. Had a microsoft/windows 'look', but co was in London! Heck, I don't give my CC info out like that.

Four (4) hours of searching & deleting & I think I found the bugger with windows explorer & task manager?

Anybody else see or hear of this?

John
HotLine1 #195363 07/29/10 03:38 AM
G
I had one that was so nasty I ended up formatting my hard drive. It was the same kind of thing. The desktop was changed to "you are infected" and there were nonsense popups about various viruses. The problem with this one was it intercepted all of the maintenance tool calls (regedit, system restore etc). I was even infected in safe mode. I could manage to get it going in command line but all of the useful commands were blocked. I was able to retrieve most of my data but I was afraid to move to much in fear of moving the virus.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #195368 07/29/10 09:25 AM
Greg:
I don't profess to be a computer maven, probably never will. I tried all the 'utilities', none would start/operate.

With good old task manager, and preserverance, I think it's gone. When I get home late tonite, that will tell.

I thought it interesting that the "cure" was able to open, and I even called the 800# which is a sham.

I'm hoping for the best!

John
HotLine1 #195386 07/29/10 10:48 PM
OK, so much for what I thought was a cure.

Turn on tonite, it starts normal...click on anything..."It's back"

Can't open anything at all!

On the 'old' running Win 2000 & dial-up, the DSL software don't like this antique.

HELP

John
HotLine1 #195395 07/29/10 11:35 PM
If you have stuff on said computer that you need, turn it off (continuing to do things on it will make the problem worse) and take it to a pro. If you don't need anything, totally reformat the hard drive and reinstall your OS of choice. Either way, reformat and reinstall is probably the only way to make sure everything is clean--but a pro can get important files off for you without spreading things.

noderaser #195396 07/29/10 11:37 PM
I'm checking with the IT guy at work Fri AM, & if he can't help, then off to the lap top shop....Grrrrrr!

John
HotLine1 #195419 08/02/10 01:14 AM
K
Since your running Win2K, Do you still have the Alerter and Messenger services enabled?
These are known to be exploited for popup crap like that. Maybe you could try and disable them in Administrative Tools/Services, if you have administrative privileges and see if that helps.
Unfortunately, task manager normally only terminates a process until the system reboots, then it will load all over again.

Do you log on and run your system from an administrator account by default?
If so, that’s not good since it makes it much easier for bad stuff to setup and take control of your system.
You should probably set yourself up with a user account having limited privileges and set windows to automatically log you on to that account at startup.
I have my old Win2K system setup like this so that software can only be installed/removed or changes made to the AntiVirus/firewall and Services started/stopped when logged in to a separate administrator account.

KJay #195420 08/02/10 01:32 AM
W
To those who get nasty Trojans and worms. Many are very hard to remove with Windows running. If you have a second computer, you can purchase an $15-$25 adapter that will plug in the back of a hard drive ether SATA or IDE and allow you to plug it into a USB port. You can then use the antivirus on the working machine to scan an kill the bug on the infected drive. I have on and us it often to fix customers drives. I think Avira is the best anti virus program. It WILL NOT load your computer down like many others. But as always be very careful where you download a program from. There are MANY look alike web sites that are FULL of malware. Robert

IT guy cleared the bug, but..no internet access. IE message that a firewall won't allow any website access. Back to IT today, I hope.

John
HotLine1 #195432 08/02/10 09:52 PM
Re-loaded IE-8 & DSL software. IT installed an anti-malware program. Windows Firewall is up & running....the razor wire is being installed & the german shepherd is at my side! Hopefully....it's all OK now.

Told my wife...NO email attachments. (Period)

Thanks for all the help guys!

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard