ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I'm looking for some info regarding the 680.26 (C) water bond for [u][i][b]above ground pools.[/b][/i][/u]

NOT how to comply with 680.26 (C)...but,

Who supplys and/or installs the bonding point?

Who is paying for that additional work?

If us ECs are having to provide it, any issues with finding the part?

Any other comments appreciated

Last edited by HotLine1; 07/27/10 02:23 PM.

John
S
I've got an inflateable aboveground pool we set up for my kids in the summer. Does NEC *really* require an equipotential grid be laid down before setting it up, and a ground electrode draped over the side? I mean, it seems absurd, but it sure looks like it; they even go out of their way to say this chapter applies to storeable pools as well as permanant.

To answer your question; pretty sure the pool guy will install the ladder, and possibly the bond as it SHOULD come designed for code-compliant bonding. If he doesn't supply the bond, you would have to. The customer will pay for it all.

G
No "storable" pools are not covered by chapter II of the NEC. See Chapter III. The main issue is that you are using all "storable pool" equipment. It should be so marked.
This is all double insulated and the pump comes with a long cord (25')

Ladder cups usually get installed by the guy shooting the concrete and they usually do all of the concrete encased bonding around here. This may be inspected by the structural inspector but there is an "electrical" box to be signed off on the permit so it really should be an electrical inspector. These days most inspectors are multi-rated.
Departments protect licenses when times are tough and the more licenses you have, the better chance you have to keep your job.
The way it worked on my pool was I saw an electrical and a structural inspector before the pool was shot and the electrical inspector did the final. (verifying the fence/cage, alarms etc along with the electrical finals)

Greg Fretwell
S
Ah, good! I missed the chapter headings. NEC needs to use multiple font sizes or outline-style indents or something; it's often hard to read.

Link Copied to Clipboard