ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 476 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
1) not yet, waiting for it to come around again 2)i'm told it's a day course, a few hundred bucks

~S~

G
They had a lead course here, run by one of the builder groups for $75 or so including lunch.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Having been involved with one builders group ....

You can often get such discounted things - btw, does everyone know that they're required to have the 30-hr OSHA course as well now? - because the chapter has someone aggressively seeking government grants to subsidize such things.

K
Well, you can add MA to the list of states that now have their own Division of Occupational Safety [DOS] RRP regulations. They received the needed approval from the EPA to last week.

One change that is more stringent than the EPA’s RRP is that the certified renovator is required to be on site at all times. MA also naturally wants more money, $375.00 for the certification as opposed to the EPA’s $300.00.
At the moment, I’m not sure if actual enforcement of the rules will be done through local building inspector departments or specifically through DOS, but I guess I will find out soon enough.

From the DOS website:
Effective July 9, 2010, the Division of Occupational Safety promulgated amendments to 454 CMR 22.00 (Deleading and Lead-Safe Renovation), and, in conjunction with the Executive Office for Administration and Finance, amendments to 801 CMR 4.02 454 (16) and (18) (Licensing Fees for Lead-Safe Renovation Contractors and Lead-Safe Renovator Training Providers). The amended version of 454 CMR 22.00 can be viewed by clicking HERE . The amendments to 801 CMR 4.02 454 (16) and (18) change the licensing fee and surcharges for Lead-Safe Renovation Contractors from $575 for a one-year license to $375 for a five-year license, and waive the $1,775 annual fee for Lead-Safe Renovator Training Providers if they are a State, federally recognized Indian Tribe, local government or non-profit organization.

These amendments, which establish safety standards for renovation, repair and painting work that disturbs lead paint in target housing and child-occupied facilities built before 1978, parallel similar federal EPA requirements that became effective on April 22, 2010 under the “Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule” (RRP Rule), 40 CFR 745.80-92. The amendments to 454 CMR 22.00 are designed to be as protective of human health and the environment as the federal standard. Effective July 9, 2010, DOS received authorization from EPA to administer and enforce the lead safety standards for renovation, repair and painting work set forth in 454 CMR 22.00, in lieu of the federal standard being enforced by EPA in Massachusetts.

KJay #195303 07/24/10 05:33 PM
N
What I still don't understand is if I am based in NH but have a MA license as well, and I come to work in MA that involves lead, do I have to pay the 300 to EPA and 375to MA or will the EPA fee cover work in both states?

As of now, I have taken the class and had my picture taken, but I haven't paid the EPA. Then again, I haven't done any work lately that would require it either. That and I really don't have the money for it at the moment.

Last edited by nrp3; 07/24/10 05:35 PM.
nrp3 #196271 09/22/10 04:24 PM
One of the GC that i work with just finished an 8 hour class. He told me basically if you are working on a house that is built before 1978 you need to add 30% to cover the cost of masking,removal and disposal of the lead that is in the paint.

He and i agreed that if he does that he is not being competitive and will be loosing bids to other none compliant contractors.
furthermore, if he doesn't do what he needs to do then the feds will fine him for about $37k per day of violation.

i am pro safety, however, the cost has to recovered from the client or the government. If the customer sees a bid that is 30% less of course they are taking that route. He also mentioned that beginning October EPA will have heavy advertising on Lead certified contractors trying to educate the consumers to use Lead Certified Contractors for their project.

it seems to me that if i run my business and follow the rules and regulations exactly to the dot, i will be loosing money and i won't be in business long. Unless the feds put the effort and heavily fine unlicensed and uncertified contractors and do educate the public to use properly licensed contractors.

What are you thoughts on this and how many of you are certified.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #196336 09/27/10 10:22 AM
H
Has anyone heard about a letter that the homeowner can sign reliving the GC about the lead removal? I heard here in north NJ that there was such a letter. The GC would give it to the homeowner and the HO would sign it. It somehow releases the GC from liability. Now I don't know how true it is, I just heard a rumor.

G
About the only way I can think of that would relieve the contractor is if the letter said there was nothing in the house older than 1987.

Greg Fretwell
I don't think there is such a letter, or at least that is what the GC told me. because i did ask him about that. That would be nice, the client assumes responsibility or releases the contractor from liability.

i think i will take that class. just so i don't get into trouble.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #196352 09/28/10 12:28 AM
It seems the 'Opt-Out' letter option may have been revoked.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
AGENCY
40 CFR Part 745
[EPA–HQ–OPPT–2005–0049; FRL–8823–7]
RIN 2070–AJ55
Lead; Amendment to the Opt-Out and
Recordkeeping Provisions in the
Renovation, Repair, and Painting
Program
AGENCY: Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA).
ACTION: Final rule.
SUMMARY: EPA is finalizing several
revisions to the Lead Renovation,
Repair, and Painting Program (RRP) rule
that published in the Federal Register
on April 22, 2008. The RRP rule
established accreditation, training,
certification, and recordkeeping
requirements as well as work practice
standards on persons performing
renovations for compensation in most
pre-1978 housing and child-occupied
facilities. In this document, EPA is
eliminating the ‘‘opt-out’’ provision that
currently exempts a renovation firm
from the training and work practice
requirements of the rule where the firm
obtains a certification from the owner of
a residence he or she occupies that no
child under age 6 or pregnant women
resides in the home and the home is not
a child-occupied facility. EPA is also
requiring renovation firms to provide a
copy of the records demonstrating
compliance with the training and work
practice requirements of the RRP rule to
the owner and, if different, the occupant
of the building being renovated or the
operator of the child-occupied facility.
In addition, the rule makes minor
changes to the certification,
accreditation and state authorization
requirements.
DATES: This final rule is effective July 6,

See Opt-out Rule (PDF)on following page (under Final Regulations and Policy):
http://epa.gov/lead/pubs/regulation.htm

Bill

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard