ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
CDS,
I am where you are. Just me doing service calls and small stuff. I have done larger comm and resi jobs. I really enjoy the service calls more and think the money is better. I am looking at expanding to only service and leaving the world of new comm and resi behind. I do not have a "business degree" and sometimes don't know if I make or lose money on a large job. Service is plentiful, perpetual and easy to keep up with from a bookeeping standpoint. Doing this I can bring my business to a level that I can handle and still earn a living.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
CDS Offline
I have just started getting busy , just this week . I am actually getting most of the week booked up . That has not happened for me in a while .

Suggestions
1. Service companies : the ones that do maintenance for the chain stores . There are some good ones and bad ones , just try them . Biggest problem with some is they take forever to pay .

2. I just spent a good bit of my down time getting listed in search engines ( yelp , google , yahoo , merchantcircle , etc ) . You can pay someone to do it for you , if you don't have the time , inclination , or know how . I actually got a call today , from a internet source , yelp I think .
It is the future I suppose .

If your looking to do construction , I don't have suggestions , I am pulling away from that aena for awhile .

S

1. Service companies : the ones that do maintenance for the chain stores . There are some good ones and bad ones , just try them . Biggest problem with some is they take forever to pay

yeah, got into FM mainteneance, they're a bit socially retarded , everything seems to be crisis management, and they invent more paperwork than the pentagon....

2. I just spent a good bit of my down time getting listed in search engines ( yelp , google , yahoo , merchantcircle , etc ) . You can pay someone to do it for you , if you don't have the time , inclination , or know how . I actually got a call today , from a internet source , yelp I think .
It is the future I suppose .

CD, those 'internet help helpertons' (if that's what your refering to) actually sell you a detrimental barrier. All one needs do is have a good understanding (or have a webmaster that does) of Metatags to assume even a better position than you could pay them for.

PS~it takes time for them to get indexed...

~S~

S

B
Things have been really good for us here in many parts of Western Canada for the last year or so. It's because we are less reliant on the US economy as we used to be although many sectors here are hurting like forest, pulp and manufacture.
In BC economy is good and house prices on the rise at least while interest rates are low and lots of people moving here so everyone is busy at least in this business anyway. We have a severe shortage of 10+ year experience tradespeople. Hopefully some of the depressed industries will see some improvement and things pick up in the US.
I think as the US dollar is allowed to collapse further this will bring employment back to those in export related business including auto and hopefully get people back on the job but It will never be the same again. Not it our life time.

S
just one more bubble, we'll inflate it slow this time....~S~

S
Roughed in a new house last week. 2600 sf with garage. I almost forgot how enjoyable it was to do a new house. It sure did feel good just to be able to work long days for a week without scheduling, going from job to job, etc. One week work, one bill. Have another to start in 2 weeks. Two small commercial projects at the same time. 15K - 20k each.

It seems to be feast of famine. Two weeks ago I was hanging around the house waiting for the phone to ring. Sometimes I feel lazy not doing anyting for work. But if there isn't anything then there isn't anything. I hope this is a trend.

S
I'm about the same here schenimann

on a good note, i've one h*ll of a garden going this year, 1800 sq. ft of it, i aim to fill the freezer (i'd like venison, but i'm a lousy shot)

anywho, it's the same for anyone we would ask here now>>

http://www.economyincrisis.org/content/recession-forever-altering-americans-lives

~S~

Situation in Twp I work in seems good to better. 6 months ending June 30 resulted in 2000+ permits issued & 300+ updates. Yes, it's very little new resi, but it's work after all. Yes, there are still a lot of guys sitting in the 'halls'. carps especially. Hopefully, things are on the way back to 'level' or 'steady'

BTW, it's not only the trades that are hurting, the municipal sector is poised to take a further beat down here. Furlough days are in effect is a lot of towns, lay-offs, shared services, etc. The education sector is on the stove too; cuts in some towns affected 10 year people.

John
S
BTW, it's not only the trades that are hurting, the municipal sector is poised to take a further beat down here. Furlough days are in effect is a lot of towns, lay-offs, shared services, etc. The education sector is on the stove too; cuts in some towns affected 10 year people.

very much so HotOne, I'm in the process of trying to nail down a few bids for the town here in fact. Used to be municipalities were an easy touch

no more....

~S~

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard