ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
dsk 13
Admin 8
Recent Posts
Grid problem??
by annemarie1. 08/21/17 01:10 PM
Bathroom electrical
by doc. 08/19/17 06:53 AM
electircal ageing test on IPC
by SIAME. 08/15/17 02:43 AM
electrical aging test on IPC
by gfretwell. 08/15/17 12:27 AM
"Line level" audio on Cat 5?
by gfretwell. 08/08/17 10:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
240,059 Are you busy
175,682 Re: Forum
167,900 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#194668 - 06/15/10 10:35 PM RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued  
Admin  Offline

Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,456
NY, USA
Years ago arrangements were made with a third party service to offer Free Websites @ yourname.electrical-contractor.net.

At the time I thought it was a good thing, offering free server space, and easy templates for building a simple website. Over the years though, the service has evolved to be something which I have less and less control over.

It's difficult to keep up with all of the spammers and amateur porn websites that keep cropping up. They're probably 95% of the signups now, more difficult to find, and I can no longer delete them myself. I think this has hurt ECN website rankings in the search engines too.

So, long story short, with regrets, I will be discontinuing the free web service here in the near future. If you have a website@electrical-contractor.net it will no longer be there a few weeks from now. You should make arrangements to move it elsewhere.

Bill


Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#194693 - 06/16/10 03:40 AM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: Admin]  
noderaser  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 404
Portland, Oregon, United State...
I would think the porn would increase the search engine rating :P


#194694 - 06/16/10 04:38 AM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: noderaser]  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,217
SI,New Zealand
Bill,
That's fair enough.
It's a shame that spammmers and porn merchants seem to get in everywhere these days, they know they are not wanted, but they try it on all the same.
I would have thought that there would have been some laws with teeth passed and enforced by now, I mean, how old is the internet?


Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

#194697 - 06/16/10 01:51 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: Trumpy]  
gfretwell  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,103
Estero,Fl,usa
There wasn't a way to police that? How many free web sites were there out there?

I do understand the concern tho. I suspect that is why places like AOL discontinued their web services.
There are still plenty of fairly cheap web hosting places if you really want a business related site. I have two now with web.com. One is for the HOA esteroriverheights.com where I live and the other is gfretwell.com for me. I had been using a corner of the HOA site for my own FTP site but I decided it probably wasn't a good idea, even though I was paying the bill. The "electrical" directory is still out there but I pulled everything that was personal.


Greg Fretwell

#194698 - 06/16/10 02:39 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: gfretwell]  
Admin  Offline

Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,456
NY, USA
Originally Posted by gfretwell
There wasn't a way to police that? How many free web sites were there out there?

I do understand the concern tho. I suspect that is why places like AOL discontinued their web services.
There are still plenty of fairly cheap web hosting places if you really want a business related site. I have two now with web.com. One is for the HOA esteroriverheights.com where I live and the other is gfretwell.com for me. I had been using a corner of the HOA site for my own FTP site but I decided it probably wasn't a good idea, even though I was paying the bill. The "electrical" directory is still out there but I pulled everything that was personal.

Greg,

When it started out I could monitor the signups, see the contact info, etc, and I could basically 'Approve' or 'Disapprove' what the site was being used for, and I could easily delete the accounts that violated the TOS agreement. All of that has changed over the years.

There are probably thousands of accounts set up, many inactive, I have no master list. Many times these sites are used just to forward to another site, or a links page. Now, when I come across one used for spam or porn I have to contact someone else to remove it. There are people out there that do this stuff 24/7 it's a PITA I don't need.

Bill


#194699 - 06/16/10 02:51 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: Trumpy]  
Admin  Offline

Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,456
NY, USA
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Bill,
That's fair enough.
It's a shame that spammmers and porn merchants seem to get in everywhere these days, they know they are not wanted, but they try it on all the same.
I would have thought that there would have been some laws with teeth passed and enforced by now, I mean, how old is the internet?
Mike,

I'm with you on all that....

It's a shame how much they've clogged things up too. I have to wade through a thousand or more emails a day on the average, about 98% is garbage. It's a sore subject for me.

Bill


#194702 - 06/16/10 03:17 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: Admin]  
HotLine1  Offline


Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,858
Brick, NJ USA
Bill:
I think all of the legitimate people here understand your position.

I get inundated with junk mail also, and it is time consuming!



John

#194709 - 06/16/10 05:50 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: HotLine1]  
KJay  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 763
MA, USA
This is just the free sites right?
Does this mean they are also planning on dropping their paid website subscribers as well sometime in the near future?


#194713 - 06/16/10 07:14 PM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: KJay]  
Admin  Offline

Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,456
NY, USA
Originally Posted by KJay
This is just the free sites right?
Does this mean they are also planning on dropping their paid website subscribers as well sometime in the near future?

KJay,

I was thinking about dropping the whole service. You bring up a good question though, if we could drop the freebies that would eliminate the bulk, if not all of the problem. I don't know if that is an option.

I don't want to leave anyone in a bad spot. I will see what I can find out.

Bill


#194719 - 06/17/10 03:35 AM Re: RE: FREE Websites at ECN being Discontinued [Re: Admin]  
gfretwell  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,103
Estero,Fl,usa
I understand now. I did not realize how many accounts you were dealing with.


Greg Fretwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Member Spotlight
BEAMEUP
BEAMEUP
WA
Posts: 27
Joined: December 2004
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 16 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8248 MB (Peak: 1.0077 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-08-22 05:23:42 UTC