ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I am a master electrician that is working for a swimming pool company. Recently my employer and I decided to activate my master license using the company liability insurance so I could install electrical when building pools instead of him contracting out. We did not draw up any kind of contract but we discussed him giving me a bonus or some of the profits. So far I have not received anything extra. Someone told me that I should be getting at least half the profits of an electrical job because I am liable also. Does anyone know of a contract that can be used for this type of thing? Or any suggestions?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
T
Get an attorney.

Tesla
F
I think what you should done in first place is get the contract line up so that way you can stick to the rules as written in the contract.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
There are a number of issues posed as to your role here - beginning with defining your relationship. That is: are you an employee or an independent contractor? It's a question that allows but one of those two answerrs; be wary of any attempts to blur the distinction.

Part of the answer depends on whether the license belongs to you, or to the company.

For example, in Nevada the law allows for a 'qualifying employee' to allow the firm to hold a contracting license. If the employee leaves, the firm must have the State approve the replacement; the employee is not allowed to carry that license with him to a new job, or to do work on his own.

There are other considerations that enter the picture. Among these are the responsibility for paying workmans' comp insurance, unemployment insurance, and witholding taxes. These are major considerations; many marginal operations attempt to avoid their responsibilities by claiming that you are an 'independent contractor,' while at the same time paying you discounted wages. DON'T FALL INTO THAT TRAP!

Whoever issues your 'master' credentials ought to be able to explain some of this stuff to you. Likewise, a CPA and the local trade groups are good resources for you to discover.

K
Sounds like you basically became an hourly employee.
Arrangements similar to what you have described are done all the time around here when plumbing or HVAC companies want to start an in-house electrical division.
I'm sure the laws are probably different where you are, but even so, you should definitely have a written contract outlining everything.
Since you are still placing quite a bit of potential liability on your shoulders by risking your license as well as your future income if something should go wrong, maybe even years down the road, the current business arrangement should be made worthwhile for both of you.

T
You are no match for a seasoned player...

Get an attorney -- who knows the trades.

ANY attorney can blow your mind with the crazy stuff that works its way through the courts.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard