ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
... or have an electric blanket.
Wow, this is a perfect example of the absolute worst-case scenario as far as household EMF goes. Unshielded, close to the body, and none of the fields cancel, just reinforce.

Joe, you need to go off on these people about how many people have died from cancer caused by electric blankets and how it's the leading cause of death, second only to food poisoning caused by agricultural insecticides. You know, something outlandish and tinfoily we'd all crack up laughing about, but say it with as straight of a face as possible and see if they call you on it.

If they don't... cha-ching! It's their money, give them whatever they want to pay for.

The problem with the AFDB is you look completely stupid in it and it could lead to fatal brain heat loss. My solution is to disguise the foil by incorporating it as the lining in a knitted wooly hat. Now, you can look like a total cretin, but with class! laugh

Here, Mrs B and I model our Peruvian style. As you can see, the hats feature foil-lined flaps to keep the EMF from entering the brain via the earoles, and EMF deflector aerials on top. The chin-ties are handy if you need to go out under powerlines in a hurricane.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Wood work but can't!
S
You're still getting EMF through your face!!! To be fully protected from mind-control rays, you need to use electrically conductive face-shields, grounded firmly about your neck. Better still, if it's 360 degrees around your entire body.

L
Australia

.(AP) A Sydney bomb squad evacuated neighbors and sent in robots to clear dozens of suspected explosives strewn about the house of a man who recently died, only to discover the devices were all fake, officials said Wednesday.

More than 50 bomb-like devices were found in the house and in the man's car, New South Wales state Detective Superintendent Gavin Dengate said.

The deceased man, a 69-year-old former electrician known as reclusive, apparently wanted to scare people away, Dengate said.

Friends of the man, whose identity was not released, called police after visiting his home Tuesday and spotting what looked like bombs. Neighbors were then evacuated as bomb squad officers sent in robots and detonated six of the devices, Dengate said.

"All of the devices were inert. ... They weren't capable of actually detonating," he said.

Some of the fake bombs were wired to appliances, and one included a pressure switch linked to two gas cylinders in a car.

The man, who died in a hospital more than a week ago, had also covered the windows in the house with aluminum foil.

Police have been unable to track down any of his family members.

"I have no doubt that he was not there to randomly injure people," Dengate said. "He was a recluse, and he wanted to remain that way."

Dengate said police did not know if the man suffered from a mental illness.

No, he was just shielding himself from the strong EMF fields because they drive everyone crazy

Steve, what like this? laugh

[ Actually, truth to tell, this is Henry VIII's Field of the Cloth of Gold foot-armour from 1520 with its many overlapping parts - so remarkable that Nasa studied its construction when they were designing the first space suits in the 1960s. ]

Wood work but can't!
Sorry, my mistake. This is from his 1520 collection. Flared skirts were in that year.

Wood work but can't!
W
It is easy to laugh at the concept of an EMF friendly home, and to ascribe all interest in such to nut-jobs. Keep in mind, however that there is a certain amount of reality here, with some number of people demonstrably sensitive to stuff that you or I don't notice.

A very interesting set of anecdotes can be found if you search for posts by Karl Riley, both here and on the Mike Holt board.

1) We say 'EMF', but since we are dealing with the 60Hz wiring surrounding us in homes, we really should not think in terms of electro-magnetic radiation (energy radiating through space, where energy is constantly flowing between a changing electric field and a changing magnetic field), but rather we should be thinking in terms of near field approximations, where currents in wires are creating magnetic fields, or charged wires are creating electric fields.

2) What I take from Karl's anecdotes is that the vast bulk of situations where people could 'sense' or be adversely affected by wiring could be ascribed to _magnetic_ fields. These magnetic fields are caused by unbalanced current flows, meaning current flowing in a conductor that is not matched by current flowing in the opposite direction in an immediately adjacent conductor. The vast bulk of these situations are actual code violations, eg. bootleg neutrals, unintentional parallel neutrals, etc. In other words, the bulk of the situations where people 'feel' the wiring were situations where there is a well defined code violation that can be fixed. What this means is that careful adherence to code will get you most (if not all) the way to an EMF friendly home.

3) Code does permit some situations that can cause significant unbalanced current flow; eliminating this becomes a design issue. The big one that I can think of is shared underground metallic water piping acting as a parallel neutral. For an 'EMF friendly' home, I would suggest plastic underground piping to eliminate this shared neutral path.

4) In the US, conventional 120V wiring has one 'hot' and one 'grounded' conductor; this will produce a net _electric_ field between the cable and the surroundings. If someone is sensitive to electric fields (as opposed to magnetic fields), then running a MWBC with both supply legs present in the same cable would seem to reduce this. Using wiring methods surrounded by grounded metal would also likely reduce this. (Again note: we are talking about electric and magnetic fields separately here, and it seems that people are sensitive to _magnetic_ fields if anything.)

5) My personal _hunch_ is that the low intensity electric and magnetic fields produced by home wiring do no direct health damage, but that some people are just sensitive enough to them to be annoyed by them, without being able to clearly identify the problem and so be able to decide to ignore it. This continual annoyance is what then triggers health damage. I personally experience this sort of thing where an extremely quiet but unidentified sound will keep me awake, while I try to figure out what the hell is making the noise and wishing it would go away. Most people would just sleep through the sound, but it grabs my attention, sets my teeth on edge, and ruins me the next day. Perhaps these people are particularly sensitive to audible 60 Hz hum, and the magnetic fields make things vibrate, and the vibrations are what annoy them. Perhaps these people really do barely detect the changing magnetic field itself. I don't know.

6) There are lots of BS artists out there selling things related to EMF.

-Jon

S
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
Steve, what like this? laugh

[ Actually, truth to tell, this is Henry VIII's Field of the Cloth of Gold foot-armour from 1520 with its many overlapping parts - so remarkable that Nasa studied its construction when they were designing the first space suits in the 1960s. ]

I saw that in the Tower of London exhibit a few months ago; it's an amazing piece of protective technology. Incredible that even in the 1500s, they knew of the dangers of even just natural EMF and took moves to protect themselves from it.

It's official. Scientists now think an AFDB is an essential accessory for the modern man-about-town to protect his brain from stray EMF, fridge-magnets etc., causing an inexhaustible appetite for donuts.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/georgepitcher/100032134/official-diy-is-immoral-or-something/

Wood work but can't!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard