ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Existing ground/bond at service location- yes Reconnect if the EC disconnected it for the work.
However in the example,I don't feel the EC should be required to install a ground for the equipment t the other end of the building. for reasons stated by KJay. Notify,Yes.

As far as new- install the block.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Sparky:
The PP info I used/use for CEU & Vo-tech is from 1 mfg, but it also has comparison items by other mfg within the presentation.

Our POCO does not allow the unit that attaches to the meter pan.

John
Leland:
No, I do not expect any sparky to run any bond/grd only to reconnect, and install the block on new work.

John
T
In my Commercial practice we've ALWAYS been required to run a bonding conductor over to the telco board which by contract we also installed. Said board would ALWAYS be a hefty 4x8 sheet of plywood treated for fire resistance -- sometimes plain, sometimes painted ( by the GC/painting contractor ) at least 5/8" thick.

The Telco tech was ALWAYS very good at grounding at their Point Of Entry.

Providing raceways all over for the LV boys and pulling in phone pairs for the elevator contractor... all in a job.

------

Plainly, Residential sequencing is totally different. It sounds like you're long gone before the LV crowd shows up.

Tesla
R
we usually have the service done before the telco ever mounts their box.

H
Sparky,

I have seen some inspectors around here who would only accept certain pieces of equipment for certain applications. (Not that it makes it right.)

H
John,

I can see on new construction, the service entrance is in before the Telco equipment.

I can also see on a service replacement, if the EC disconnects the Telco ground he should be required to hook it back up.

However in this instance, the telco service was on the opposite side of the house and it NEVER was hooked into the electrical system, and it was like that for maybe 15-25 years. Now would the EC be required to hook up a grounding wire from the service to the Telco equipment? Should the AHJ fail the EC for not hooking it up?

Harold:

I have to say "No". IF I had a situation like that as AHJ, I would call telco, and if no result...a notice of violation (Unsafe condition)

That said, it would take time, and follow-up time, which is a real luxury that I would love to have. I could write a letter to the HO, advising them of the unsafe condition (Code violation), and hear "how come, it's been like that forever"

Again another axe to grind?

Perhaps, a chat with the EC, to inform his client (Ho) that the telco should be bonded, and a reasonable $$$ to do same would solve the issue? A friendly approach usually works for me, and everyone is happy & safe.

Want another can of worms??? How about all the "sins of the past" when a comm job has the ceiling tiles removed?? Voice/data laying on the grid?

John
R
were does it state that the telco box has to be tied to the service EGC and simply driving a seperate rod for the telco is not acceptable?

I'll find the appropriate article(s) later, time permitting, but the jist of the requirements is that all grounding electrodes must be interconnected.

John
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard