ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192694 02/25/10 07:17 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
Can anyone recommend a decent password manager/generator program?
I've used RoboForm before and am looking into it again out of necessity, but don't really care for it all that much.

I have been using a neat little shareware password program called KeyPack since 1999, which has been great and is perfect for my needs, but the author has apparently abandoned this program since the last update was version 1.0 back in 2001.
The problem is that it is not compatible with Windows 7, which is the OS on our new computer. I tried using Windows compatibility mode also, but no go.

Thanks

KJay #192700 02/26/10 01:20 AM
Password manager for websites? I just have Firefox do that, for pretty much everything except "important" (banking, etc) sites. Even use a plugin called Xmarks, that synchronized bookmarks and saved passwords between my computers.

K
KJay Offline OP
Thanks for the reply.
Actually, I just recently uninstalled Mozilla Firefox v3.6 after using it for the last few months. It was just too slow opening for me. I was never able to find a TSR startup solution to preload it when windows starts, like I can with Adobe Reader Speed Launch or MS Office.
It sometimes took almost 30 seconds to start and open the browser. I hear this is a pretty common problem with Firefox.

KJay #192737 02/27/10 11:41 PM
Xmarks is also available for IE, Chrome and Safari. I assume that's why they shortened the old name, Foxmarks.

K
KJay Offline OP
I ended up going with a program called Passwords Plus form a company called DataViz. It was the closest thing I could find to my old favorite KeyPack.
The multi user license wasn't too expensive and I liked the fact that DataViz is based in Connecticut.
It is refreshing to find software coming from a company based somewhere other than the Czech Republic these days.

KJay #192981 03/13/10 07:08 AM
People that use "simple" passwords, deserve to get their information/money stolen.
Some of us have a "little note-book" (for the computer-literate, this is NOT what we used to call a laptop), written in only a way that they know.

By the way, even when you go into an HTTPS (Secure site for transactions), you might notice that the address "google-analytics.com" comes up, ban that IP address, it is tracking your key-strokes, it might even be tracking your credit card details.
Going on Google's past history with personal info, you could be billed for stuff you never even bought.

Keep anything important out of your computer, as in, don't have passwords for important stuff saved.
Flash-based interfaces are so easily hacked, it isn't funny.

Everyone is talking Web 2.0, yet they can't even get the 1.0 version secure.
Mainly because of commercial interests, which was what the internet was never made for.

Trumpy #192991 03/13/10 09:59 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
I agree, that's why I use a password manager. This is licensed software, not freeware stuff.
The program I'm using now generates an 8-character base password that I then add up to an additional 55-characters of my own for a total of 63-characters.
Most websites and others only allow passwords to be 18-characters or less though, so I can either create my own or generate a basic 8-character password and add an additional ten random characters of my own. These are stored in an encrypted file that is password protected, on a separate removable drive that is also password protected. The program allows you to copy and paste so no key logging, and the clipboard is automatically cleared every time the program in closed. The passwords only show up as asterisks in the programs password lists when the program window is open, so if someone is looking over your shoulder, or using remote camera they can't read anything on the page at all.
My firewall is configured to block this program form accessing the Internet, in case a Trojan tries to download any password information.

KJay #194384 05/28/10 08:25 PM
Licensed software doesn't necessarily = secure software. Excellent example: Microsoft! After nearly 30 years in IT support and software development, I have hundreds of passwords to keep track of and I don't trust them to online storage as with Xmarks (although I do use Xmarks to sync bookmarks). I've found only a couple of good password managers and the one I like the most and that I trust (because it's open source and subject to peer scrutiny) is KeePass. I used to use AnyPassword but they chose to lag behind when Windows 7 came out and are not yet supporting it (except with their paid version) so I've moved all my passwords over to KeePass. It's free and also runs on multiple platforms.

Link Copied to Clipboard