ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Rule 2-005 has nothing to do with this discussion as it deals only with "owner-occupied single dwellings" and "the equipment being installed is installed by an electrical contractor licensed in accordance with Regulation 570/05".

Rule 2-004 in it's very first sentence states..."A contractor shall file with the inspection department a completed application for inspection of ANY work...".

M
Ok, after reading it more carefully I can agree with what your saying about 2-004.
I just have a hard time accepting that if I were called to change a ballast (120v) in a commercial building that I would need to have an inspection done.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
B
I agree that it's not fair.

E
Originally Posted by frank
In some establishments a competent employee can do electrical work Refer to page 547 of the pocket Ontario OH&S regulations for an example.

???? Can you give me the rule #. I have a 2007 version and p.547 is on confined spaces.

S.182(1)says no worker shall connect, maintain or modify electrical equipment unless the worker is an electrician or registered under the apprenticeship act. (page 166 in my book)

E
It's not the electrical inspectors job to police who does the work just that its up to code they can only alert the ministry of unqualified and incompetent employees as you have already done.

And how do they know who is competent and who is not? Do they test these janitors after noticing that they changed a 347volt ballast?

H
mol does nothing as i said before. i talked to esa they said in reply qoute the contractor is responsible for their workers since they have to have ins. as far as they are concerned its ok.

F
Eddy Current,
On page 574 of the POCKET ONTARIO OH&S ACT& REGULATIONS Health Care-Reg67/93

Sub-rule (4)If the installation ,equipment or power line is operating at 300 volts or more but less than 750 volts ,a suitably equipped COMPETENT person who is able to perform rescue operations ,including cardiopulmonary resuscitation,shall be readily available and be able to see the worker who is performing the work

Sub-rule (6)Subsections (4),(5) do not apply to troubleshooting ,installing or replacing meters or testing of appliances or instruments by a worker who is an electrician who is certified under the Trades Qualification Act to do electrical work or a person with equivalent qualifications by training or experience
In the definitions section is says,
"competent person"means a person who,
(a)is qualified because of knowledge ,training and experience to organize the work and its performance
(b) is familiar with this Act and the regulations that apply to the work and
(c)has knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the workplace

These rules allow competent workers to carry out electrical work as long as a CPR certified worker who is also competent on the performance of the job is present.

This does not apply to contractors who go into the field to perform electrical work only full time workers in employer owned buildings including public buildings

My particular workplace has been targeted as a dangerous workplace and we are visited by the MOL often.The inspectors have informed us that that the owner of an establishment may designate competent workers to perform electrical work in there building at there own risk in accordance with BILL C-45

Again the ESA inspectors can only report workplace issues to the MOL and cannot impose fines for worker Health and Safety
I dont agree with it either but should someone get hurt or killed under bill C-45 the supervisors,leadhands and anyone who directs work to be done can get life in jail for the death of a worker and ten years for injury.

F
Eddy Current,
S.182 refers to general construction not maintenance or alterations
If you talk to a MOL inspector he will tell you bill c-45 is what give OH&S Act teeth and any required training is the employers responsibility.you have to read bill c-45 to understand the rational
If the employer wants to screw around and put workers in positions where they can get injured or killed they will pay the price
It's also the workers responsibility to to refuse unsafe work and if they are stupid or afraid enough for their job to work in an unsafe manor than little can be done to protect them.
I know it sucks but thats the reality of the issue

http://www.cos-mag.com/200805281366/legal/legal-columns/bill-c-45-questions-get-answered.html

http://www.esao.on.ca/

Last edited by frank; 02/16/10 10:31 PM.
E

These rules allow competent workers to carry out electrical work as long as a CPR certified worker who is also competent on the performance of the job is present.
This does not apply to contractors who go into the field to perform electrical work only full time workers in employer owned buildings including public buildings

No, those rules are subrules of section 68 and apply only to when electrical work has to be done while the power is on. Working live (page 561 in my book)

E

S.182 refers to general construction not maintenance or alterations

???? Read it again.

182(1) No worker shall connect, maintain or modify electrical equipment or installations unless,
(a) the worker is an electrician certified under the trades qualification and apprentice act.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard