ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jdevlin Offline OP
I have not been able to return to followup.

some notes to respond to questions.

This is a newly purchased plugin wood stove looking electric heater. Not sure, but I think 1500 watts. Two were actually purchased. The other one runs fine on its circuit. This one runs fine on the other circuit.
The circuit in question has always been a problem with tripping breakers when portable heaters were plugged in.
The receptacle being used is the first device on the circuit. It is about 30 feet of cable from the panel.

When I go back, hopefully this weekend. I will open the receptacle again and inspect the connections. I will move the breaker to a different slot. I will try the breaker from the circuit that holds, instead of the breaker easest to get to.

T
Originally Posted by Trumpy
15 amp circuit trips when heater plugged into it. Nothing else on circuit.
Ammeter reads 12.5 amps at breaker.

What is wrong with this picture?

A circuit-breaker is set to trip at 1.5 (150%) times the stated label current, this is what most of us call I2t (the square of the current multiplied by time)
(Higher current, shorter time)
All non-adjustable circuit breakers are the same, provided they are of the appropriate "curve ratio".

Now, IMO, this breaker should not be tripping until it senses at least 22.5A, on the thermal side of the breaker (as opposed to the magnetic side, that senses gross overloads, which should trip instantly).
I suspect a bad breaker.

I think US breakers are only 1.25 times label current, but still, there is no way this one should trip.

Side note: older (H, L and U curve) European breakers have considerably higher values, up to 2.1 times label current, while others (current K) come down to 1.25.

S
There's a variable trip curve that varies from breaker to breaker. It's a pretty big window since the devices are so simple, and variations in manufacture, ambient temperature, etc, impact the actual trip point. Long-time trip is usually something like 1.0-1.4x with larger tolerances for shorter trips. 5 minutes put it somewhere around 1.4-2.0x current.

Bottom line is that these breakers should NOT be tripping in 5 minutes at 83% the breaker rating.

C
Just to add to the confusion and maybe an answer.

When I was still in the business, we bought 25 FPE breakers in a pack one time. (Not that I was a big FPE fan) but we had all of them with issues of what we called "weak" performance because they would trip for no apparent reason. We had one that would trip when a toaster was used on the circuit.

We set up a separate FPE test panel in the shop with some big honkin' switchable resisters and a couple of ammeters and found out that there were two reasons the breakers would trip at low loads. The big reason was a bad batch of breakers had the temperature limits for trip current heating set too low when they were manufactured and the other, although a minor issue, was slightly misaligned connection lugs which made a little bit of temperature rise in the breaker.

I think those breakers were manufactured in 2000 or maybe early 2001. I can't remember the date codes exactly but it was somewhere around that time period. I know they were of Chinese origin. Maybe you had some from that same batch.

We replaced all the "weak" breakers with new ones and the problems went away.

Hope that helps you out.

M
Did you check the element?

J
jdevlin Offline OP
Problem solved. It was breaker issue. All the breakers I was swapping with, I tried 2 or 3, had the same date code on them. I tried one with a different code and it holds no problem. It seems that the one batch has a low trip curve.
My theory side was trying to figure out how something on the circuit could cause this when I was measuring only 12.5 amp at the breaker. I couldn't understand how it could be anything but the breaker.
The code on the breakers appears to indicate 1992 which is about right for when the panel was installed.
Just an FYI the heater in question had a rating of 120 volts 1350 watts. Should not be a problem on any 15 amp circuit.

Last edited by jdevlin; 01/23/10 07:37 PM.
G
"Two bad parts" is always the hardest thing to fix, if you are swapping. You also point out the problem with mass production, mass mistakes.

You got it, good deal!

Greg Fretwell
T
For the international types, the definitions (nominal) are pretty clear. Long time trip is 1.45 times label current within an hour for almost all curves (except K I think), and values from 4-8 up to 12-16 times label current within 0.2 seconds for short circuit tripping, depending on the curve.

J
jdevlin Offline OP
I emailed Schnieder Electric and they claim that it is working within pararmeters as designed. I should not be using any over 1000 watts on the circuit. The cricuit has a clock radio, a ceiling fan and phone charger on right now with the heater

Here is the exact text from the last email.

This is part of the CSA code. We have to build our products to this code.

If you look at the link below, it talks about your specific question. The following is some of the text from this link:

"The largest electric heater that you should attempt to use on a 120V dedicated circuit is something under 1500 Watts. (1500W/120V = 12.5A)

You should only knowingly load a 15A circuit to 80% of it's capacity (80% of 15A is 12A).

Given that this existing circuit has several outlets on it now, the largest electric heater you should attempt to use is 1000W or less "

http://www.electrical-online.com/heatertrippedbreaker.htm

Re: Case ID : 4852047 Product Technical Inquiries, Schneider Electric

So your saying I shouldn't be able run a plug in common 1500 watt heater on any 15 amp circuit in my house? That I am overloading the circuit. That just doesn't make sense. A 15 amp breaker should hold 15 amp forever without tripping.
The breakers have not been loaded at that for 17 years. This bedroom circuit with receptacles not a permanent installed heater. Most of the time it only has a clock, phone charger and light or two used on it.

At 08:24 AM 1/26/10, you wrote:

Thank you for the information.

The problem is very simple, the breakers are loaded above the rating. These breakers are 80% rated and per code should not be loaded over this. . The maximum continuous load should not exceed 12 A. The breakers have been loaded at more than that for 17 years. When a breaker is loaded over this it is in the trip zone and may or may not trip depending on the ambient temperature length of time the current is there and differences in the breaker.

From the information you have provided, I would say the breakers are working as designed and expected.

Last edited by jdevlin; 02/01/10 12:34 PM.
G

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard