ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#190 12/18/00 12:43 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,116
Likes: 4
I would like the Input of everyone as to whether a License is required in their area for Electrical work, is it local?, statewide? Are their different classifications? It is confusing sometimes trying to understand what is required where and what they are called. I have some good sources of info on the subject but it is not always clear on some things:
(Go to state and select "more info")

I will start:

NY - No state licensing. This is done at local level. County or smaller areas can have their own requirements.

I am on Long Island. Called "Licensed Master Electrician" has no restrictions except for doing Fire Alarm must have certification. Restricted licenses avaliable for HVAC & Plumbing personell allowing them to work within their own Equipment.

#191 12/18/00 01:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 127
Bill, the Great State of Texas only licenses plumbers and maybe AC people. Some blame the reluctance of cities to give up their power base. Austin is the capitol. Houston is petrochem, shipping ,and other industrial. Dallas has some industrial, some marketing , some financial, some high tech. San Antonio is military. Fort Worth is Dallas's little brother. Dallas and Fort Worth wouldn't recip until the Supercollider was to be built in Dallas IBEW Local jurisdiction. Texas has what is called a "weak governor" form of government(what does that say about W's governing experience?) and no person, city, county or any other entity wants to give Austin any more power than they have to. Heck, the legislature only meets a couple of months every two years. But aside from my political commentary: each city administers licensing and some will give a contractors license to a person who has a journeymans license from any jurisdiction. If the state doesn't control licensing in some way, the small towns either don't bother with licensing or lock out anyone who is not in the family or social circle of the powers that be. There go my editorializing again.

#192 12/18/00 02:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 246
Colorado licenses all phases of electrical work, except low voltage (50v or less). Apprentices are registered, and have to work under a journeyman or master (ratio 3 to 1). A master license is required to get a contractor's license, and a contractor's license is required to do any electrical work for hire. Homeowners can do their own on their primary residence, but no other (rental property, buildings open to the public, etc...)

There are certain other restrictions to the electrical licensing rules. Check out <> for more information.

Merry Christmas to all!

Rick Miell

#193 12/18/00 03:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,723
Likes: 1
Broom Pusher and
California licenses Electrical Contractors [C-10] and I believe it is required for any voltage [so Data/Comm and Alarm systems would be required to have a C-10].


Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#194 12/18/00 08:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,392
Bill....I'm in Vermont, we have licensing...apprenticeships leading to journeyman, then a "Master Electricians License". Exactly when and where a license is required is a little fuzzy,and is somewhat abused... there is a legislative page on line for it...We have type "S" licenses for other trades that do specific electrical work only, as boiler wiring addition to this ,recently the state has come up with a variety of attachment licenses for particular work. For instance, I carry a "Fire Alarms TQP " on top of my masters. This in itself constitutes it's own continuing ed to maintain. TQP stands for , you guessed it.....Technically Qualified person! The state has also instituted annual inspections of certain electrical items....such as fire alarms. Units in the field get a sticker, like your car would...pass or fail. I couldn't believe all the dead zones , batteries, etc when they started the annuals.... To get a state sticker, one must have the TQP that applies to the particular need, be it fire alarms, emergency generators...etc.

#195 12/23/00 06:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,236
Likes: 1
Here in WV, we have the apprentice, journeyman, and masters license that is statewide issued by the state fire marshal. In addition is a contractor's license (for work in excess of $999.99 value) issued by the state labor board.
Other papers include high voltage, medium voltage, mining, etc. but I'm not familiar with these.

Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#196 12/27/00 04:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2
Junior Member
it is the same here in mini snow ta as colo pretty much with the low voltage aspect of it...i install car stereos and security etc and i dont need a license but i am going to be an authorized ADT dealer and you need an Alarm and Communications Contractors License (low volt lic) because it connects to the elec sys and/or cuz its networked into the phone system pretty complex i guess but so is that EMC stuff which sounds like something right on the edge of my field [Linked Image]

#197 12/30/00 09:37 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3
Hal Offline
Junior Member
In Michigan there are State wide licensing requirements for those who perform electrical work. This is a State law and licenses are normally issued through a State agency. There is a provision in the law for a community to examine and license on their own so long as the examinaton and licensing requirements are the same as the State requirements. There is the Journey license which requires a minimum of 8000 hours over a period of not less than 4 years experience in the type of work requiring a license and passing an examination. The Master license which requires an additional 4000 hours after obtaining the journey license, passing an examination and this time must be spent working as a journeyperson under a Master. Apprentice electricians are required to register and carry the registration card when on the job site. An electrical Contractors license may be obtained by being or having in your full time employ a Master Electrican, and passing the examination. There are also specialty licenses for Fire alarm installers and Sign electricians that have similar requirements as to time and passing an examination.

#198 01/01/01 12:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,044
Tom Offline
I'd like to add the following to Sparky66wv's reply.

Licenses in WV are just a piece of paper that costs $50 a year. Approximately 1/3 of the licenses were grandfathered. As for those that took the test, it just means they know how to read. There is no continuing education requirement and the only way to lose your license that I know of is to fail to pay your $50.

I've heard that Florida doesn't license their electricians, but they do require a license to do someones hair. Any truth to this?

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#199 01/02/01 12:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 84
ETS (Educational Testing Service) out of Princeton, New Jersey conducts Multi-State Electrical Examinations for Journeyman and Master level Electricians. Can anyone tell me how Nationally accepted this is?
(Frank) cinkerf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5