ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#189799 10/25/09 11:34 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Pictures posted for farmANhvacguy:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

I'll get hvacguy to explain what is going on here.

Trumpy #189801 10/25/09 11:42 PM
F
This is a outlet I pulled out of a 28KW winco PTO generator It had no neutral wire just this jumper connecting the neutral to the ground. Seems to me once the plate screw on that outlet got loose it would get a little sparky...........

F
That what the older generators were used to do that but with current codes etc it no longer legit due the safety issue like what you ran into it.

and in 2011 NEC code cycle everything on generator it will have to be GFCI on 120 volt circuit not sure about 240 volt circuit they may include it or not.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
GFI? Doesn't that require a ground reference? All small portable generators here are floating systems without a grounded pole, so all they can do is use protection like in an IT (isolated ground) system.

Cat Servant
No, Texas, a GFCI does not need a 'ground reference.' All a GFCI does is measure current going out through the hot wire, and compare it to current coming back in through the neutral wire; if they don't match, it trips.

G
If the generator isn't grounded somewhere the GFCI will not trip because there is no return path to unbalance the circuit.
I know we always say you don't need a ground to trip a GFCI but that is because the utility is a grounded supply.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I can understand that view; but by the same token, there cannot be any current flow without a return path of some sort back to the source. It matters not if the source is the PoCo or the generator.

No current flow = no shock hazard. As soon as there is current flow, the GFCI will trip- unless all of the current is returning via the neutral wire.

Naturally, no GFCI, on any system, will help you if you are the path between the hot and the neutral wires.

Z
Pardon me if I don't see the issue here.

Are not neutral and ground normally strapped together at the distribution panel?

Since the genset is the power source, distribution panel and outlets all in one, wouldn't it make sense to strap them together there?

Or should they be strapped together before the run to the outlet?

Since the frame of the generator MIGHT be grounded, I would want a nice solid return path in the event that hot shorts to a metal chassis in a tool that I'm using. Better to trip the breaker than have 120V AC finding a convoluted path through my body, into the ground and back to the genset...

Correct my amateur self if I'm wrong. smile

G
We have to separate a generator out in the yard that is not connected to anything but the loads from a generator that is connected to the home wiring, no matter how.

If this is just an unconnected generator, like Reno says, there is no fault path and no shock hazard

Greg Fretwell
W
I have a Honda EU2000. Neutral is NOT connected to ground. Case is plastic. Although you could have an internal fault that would cause a ground fault (on ether leg)I like using this unit to power tools and such used in wet or damp locations due to its isolation. I have to admit, this unit is one of the best purchases I have made. Quiet, only 49LB, 12-14 hrs on a tank of gas,very stable voltage and 60 cycle ( 1.1 gal)Beats a 200 ft extension cord.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard