ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#188943 09/11/09 04:50 PM
M
---
How can you tell if this plywood is UL listed?

(Click on thumbnail image)

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Perhaps a flame spread test?

John
Cat Servant
A very ... interesting .... way to remodel a bath! Perhaps the last panel rusted apart?

Irreverent comment follows: There actually IS such a thing as "UL Listed plywood!" UL does list some plywood for surface fire resistance, as evaluated by a flame-spread test (E-84).

Still ... the UL standard for panels states plainly at its' beginning (materials) that wood shall not be used in the construction.

Reno:
What you are refering to is 'FRP" rated/labeled plywood. That's the designation 'grade stamp on each sheet, I do not know if 'FRP' is the UL nomenclature.

John
G
The only FRP I know about is "Fiberglass Reinforced Panel". The stuff I saw was more of a plastic thing than plywood.
They use it in commercial kitchens and public bathrooms in tough spots. It handles hosing down well. I am not sure about flame.

Greg Fretwell

that second link looks like what they make those industrial freezers out of

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #188977 09/14/09 02:04 AM
Cat Servant
No, Hotline, I am NOT referring to FRP, or the partitions they have inside gear.

I am describing actual, ordinary plywood that has been pressure-treated for fire resistance. It does exist - good luck finding it, though!

The UL label oneach sheet will contain numbers representing ratings for flame spread and smoke developed. You can find similar labels on rolls of household insulation.

Reno,

The first link I posted above leads to all the information on type FRS fire resistant plywood, including a picture of the labeling.

It's commonly required for telco backboards in the 3/4" size, as well as specified for the mounting of electrical equipment & is readily available.

Cat Servant
Yes, it does, Scott! And, yes, telco backer boards is exactly where I have encountered the specification.

I had inferred that the other comments thought I was referring to the red-fiber stuff you find in switchgear. That "FRP" stuff commonly found in commercial kitchens is another material altogether.

Thanks for the good links!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard