ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
gfretwell #188275 07/28/09 02:02 PM
S
lol, Greg!

Actually, considering the use and potential abuse in this application, EMT or IMC would be the right way to do it, even if UF is allowed by the AHJ.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

SteveFehr #188280 07/28/09 04:51 PM
G
When I redid our community shelter I used EMT, bell boxes, rain tight connectors and snap covers. This was actually 8' up on the tie beam and under the roof.
This replaced UF in 1900 boxes, no covers, that was showing it's age. I also added GFCIs that they didn't have.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #188445 08/08/09 11:53 PM
C
I'd pipe it. Do I get the job?

No, seriously, I'd put it in pipe. I never run romex exposed.

Last edited by ChicoC10; 08/08/09 11:54 PM.
gfretwell #188513 08/13/09 12:13 PM
Guys,

I assume GFCI protection is installed. blush

Cable assembly:
The manufacturer "specs" the rating on the basis that the entire cable assembly (yellow sheath, conductors with 90 degree rating, and the paper wicking) is Intact.

Conductors:
There is no "rated as" marking on the conductors,
it is on the outside of the entire cable assembly.
(*) The "rated as" is marked
on the outside of the yellow sheath.
The individual conductors have no marking,
although I certainly agree it "looks" like THHN.
(*) The individual conductors
do not have a Nylon skuff resistant jacket (THHN),
thus the Thin poly-plastic Insulation is not protected
from the abrasion that normally occurs
during pulling the conductors through a conduit.
This implies that the conductors are not designed
to be pulled through conduit "naked".

Dry-Locations:
Technically, outside is outside, and the "pic-nic shelter" is really outside, and at least damp. Romex is not designed for 'damp' locations. At least put a Jbox up near the roof and run UF down the post.

In-Use Receptical Cover:
This appears to be a "Not Direct Rain" application,
so I would use flapper covers, as the minumum.

COMMENTS are welcome:

glene77is, Memphis, TN

Last edited by glene77is; 08/13/09 12:16 PM. Reason: long wirds.

Glene77is @ Memphis, TN
Electrical Science & Engineering.
glene77is #188519 08/13/09 11:13 PM
Glene77is:

Welcome to ECN!!!

Good post for your number 1.

A safe assumption that GF protection is required.

The debate over the insulation on the insulated inner conductors is and probably will continue to rage on. There is a thread herein regarding the "N" (outer nylon) on THHN/THWN building wire, discussing the reasoning of the outer nylon jacket.

Without 'seeing' the picnic shelter, it's difficult to determine if it's damp or wet; many discussions have arisen on the geometry issues, regarding driving rain. The 'usual' settlement is to err on the side of caution, and install the WP in use covers.

BTW; you welcomed comments.....I welcome comments, and new topics.

Take care, stay safe.

John
HotLine1 #188521 08/13/09 11:37 PM
G
I treated our shelter as "wet" in every regard but the "in use cover". I really avoid them unless absolutely necessary if they are not going to be "in use". They just become wasp condos.That is one of the places where I think NFPA has exceeded their mission.

If anyone would call me on it I would say we pressure clean this area once a month. 406.6(B)(1)Ex

Exception: 15- and 20-ampere, 125- through 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location and subject to routine high-pressure spray washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #188674 08/24/09 09:19 AM
H
Greg,

Is that the ONLY place where the NEC exceeded their mission? smile I am sure we can all find some other spots.

G
Man am I glad someone else wants to run pipe. Most of what I do is commercial, in places with lots of forklifts and other destructive things around.

Sometimes not getting what you want can be an incredible stroke of luck.
gpsparky #188898 09/09/09 10:14 AM
Cat Servant
Codes, and materials, really need to reflect the real world. I think a few parties have dropped the ball here.

First off, I object most strongly to the new NEC ban on NM in 'damp' locations. The ink was hardly dry on the 2008 NEC, and the home-inspector forums lit up with the 'discovery' that nearly every house is now wired 'wrong.' The reasoning? NM passes through the crawl space, which is a 'damp' location because of ground moisture and condensation.

That still leaves us with the issue of boxes and fittings. Even if someone were to run UF, the usual connectors are not suitable for anything but dry locations.

Greg mentioned the matter of insects nesting in boxes and covers. This is a very real issue, and is not addressed by any NEMA standard. Yet, anyone who has opened a fixture (usually while 20ft up on a shaky ladder) and disturbed a few thousand hornets will agree that these are "hazardous" locations! laugh

There are likely millions of awnings, porches, gazebos, eaves, and other overhangs where NM has been in use for decades witout problem. You can wag your finger and say 'violation' all you want, but I have to question whether there's a hazard from NM getting "damp." Or, for that matter, even rained upon.

Since they went to the plastic jacket in the 70's, I can't imagine why the stuff is not rated for wet locations. I suspect all it would take is printing "NM-B" on the jacket, rather than just "NM." That is, I suspect the product would pass any test required of 'wet' location wire. The paper around the ground wire? Just try to make that wet - and so what if the ground wire gets wet anyway! Or, for that matter, just leave that wrap off alltogether, or use a mylar one (like they use in MC).

I think the code needs a reality check here.

G
I have heard a number of times that the "damp/wet" limitation on NM is because of the paper packing. I agree, it is the 21st century, why can't they use something that won't wick up water?
That would be NM-C I suppose.
My thought is, that would start nipping into the UF market and I bet UF is a higher profit margin product.
I wouldn't be shocked if someone said UF was actually cheaper to produce.
BTW has anyone seen NM-C? When I searched on the Southwire site a while ago it sent me to UF.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard