ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by aussie240

The 300 ohm aerial system in my house is alive and well with clean digital signals issuing forth on both VHF and UHF. It's only the modulation that's changed, not the bands in which it is transmitted.

Absolutely Aussie,
I know of quite a few people over here that still have 300 ohm ribbon feeding their TV sets, with (in some cases) a better picture than some RG-6 installations.

They are happy with it that way and I would never get them to change either.
All you need is a balun at the TV end to match the ribbon to the set impedance.
Magic. wink

Originally Posted by dougwells

I could be mistaken but I used to take apart many old radios that would have these, back when the electromechanical speaker would weigh like 25 lbs, with a big auto-transformer driving the speaker.

Doug,
In some of the radios of that era, the matching transformer on the speaker had more than one function, hence the wieght.

I have seen a bizzare set-up in an old Bell radio-gram here that had a single (E-I) laminated steel core and the audio windings were on one side of it and on the other side was a single winding that acted as a choke for the power supply section, for smoothing purposes.

This is not an un-usual thing, considering the layout of radios of the day, there wouldn't have been room for a decent sized choke, it is strange that it was put on the same core of the audio output transformer, without any interference. crazy

It worked like a charm though, them radios sold like hot cakes here in their day.

G
I suppose the audio out would just reinforce the audio out if some of it got imposed on the DC voltage. I am only curious how they avoided feedback.

Greg Fretwell
H
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Look behind the plate ... you'll likely find 25 (EDIT: I mean 300 - thanks G!) Ohm antenna wire.

Obsolete? Absolutely - espacially since all TV has since gone digital.

With the proper connector you could jack that into your DTV converter box or flatpanel and get a decent signal.

Cliff
N
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Originally Posted by dougwells

I could be mistaken but I used to take apart many old radios that would have these, back when the electromechanical speaker would weigh like 25 lbs, with a big auto-transformer driving the speaker.

Doug,
In some of the radios of that era, the matching transformer on the speaker had more than one function, hence the wieght.

I have seen a bizzare set-up in an old Bell radio-gram here that had a single (E-I) laminated steel core and the audio windings were on one side of it and on the other side was a single winding that acted as a choke for the power supply section, for smoothing purposes.

This is not an un-usual thing, considering the layout of radios of the day, there wouldn't have been room for a decent sized choke, it is strange that it was put on the same core of the audio output transformer, without any interference. crazy

It worked like a charm though, them radios sold like hot cakes here in their day.

Never saw a combination choke and audio OPT here in the states, but a combination choke and speaker was quite common in early sets. They saved on the cost of a strong permanent magnet by using an electromagnet as a combination speaker field and filter choke.

A
Originally Posted by Trumpy

It's a cost saving scheme I've seen in some low cost foreign radios, where half wave rectification is used with low value electrolytic filter capacitors.(i.e. lots of 50c/s hum on the B+). The filter choke winding on the output transformer is connected out of phase with the normal high impedance winding fed from the output valve. Effectively the ripple present on the B+ supply is cancelled out. It's still there but you no longer hear it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard