ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 382 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shockme77:

WELCOME Back to ECN!!!

Nice to have another 'Jersey Guy' here!

John
Cat Servant
Work is, well, where you make it. What's the sayong? "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity?"

Case in point ...
Several years back I worked a job where the GC seemed to have his act together - despite our getting a 'cease and desist' order laugh (The simple repair just kept growing and growing - and a neighbor complained that we had no permit).

Well, it seems that two of my 'mini-mart' customers have projects in the planning stage - and are having trouble finding a GC. The guy they had been using is a stereotype of the bad GC - and others, even in these lean times, weren't returning calls.

Well - take notes for the next time a GC tries to push you around - I was able to get this GC together with my two (separate) customers today. When the jobs happen, it's fair to say that I'll have an opportunity to show my worth to this GC, complimenting the EC he usually uses.

On a side note, it's quite interesting the subtle changes in my attitudes since I went "solo." A year from now, my own mother won't recognize me. Yet, especially in tight times, you can either sit back and feel sorry for yourself - or take the initiative.

I suppose that's the crux of the difference between an employee and an entrepraneur. As a one-man business, as my current job comes to a close, I'm running around looking for the next job. This is a somewhat different outlook than, say, expecting to punch the timeclock tomorrow morning.

Reno:

You said, with eloquence:

"I suppose that's the crux of the difference between an employee and an entrepraneur. As a one-man business, as my current job comes to a close, I'm running around looking for the next job. This is a somewhat different outlook than, say, expecting to punch the timeclock tomorrow morning."

I try to stress the point that to be 'on your own'..is not like just going where the 'boss' sends you, and getting a paycheck on each Friday, or whatever payday

Being "self employed"..(self sufficient) is a lot more envolved then being a 'good sparky' (or whatever tradesman) you have to do a lot more then the actual 'work'

The work situation here (NJ) appears to be at a level point, new resi is slow...renovation is steady.

John
S
I'm as excited as could be about becoming self-employed. After 19 years working in the trade I finally studied for and got my electrical license. It's a damn good feeling after all this time. I have a few jobs lined up but it won't be official until the board approves the business application next month. Very excited, indeed.

Nice to be back, John.

Shockme:
Congrats on passing the test! And, the best of luck to you in the future.

If you need anything.....don't hesitate to reach out to me....or pop in here.

John
S
Right now I need a fax machine because apparently the only way to get the official LLC papers for the board review is by fax. The phone is no longer good enough? Then I have to run down to Trenton, pick up the papers, then hand deliver them back to the Newark office so I can leave for vacation next week.

G
Don't you have a fax modem in your computer?
I ran my inspection company with a computer fax for years. It is handy because you have a copy of everything, both ways.
You will need some kind of scanner to send faxes but they are cheap on Ebay.

Greg Fretwell
B
There's a number of fax-to-email services you can use to receive faxes, as well.

It's amazing the number of people who insist upon faxing everything instead of sending a PDF file via email...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard