ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
KJay Offline OP
Originally Posted by hbiss
I would agree that a simple tester that only looks for RF won't have any problems. Where you will have a problem is with the meters that do actual signal level measurements. They must be designed and calibrated for, in the case of CATV, QAM as well as analog and you need that now. For off-air it will be 8VSB. Some meters will handle both.

In a short while most CATV systems will be eliminating the analog channels simply because they are bandwidth hogs. They can put 10 digital channels or 2 HD channels in the 6 Mhz bandwidth of an analog channel.

This change has nothing to do with the over-the-air digital conversion now rescheduled for April.

-Hal

Hal,
So, if I now understand correctly, it should be expected that a lower cost signal meter like the Holland ST-4000D that now reads 'off air' channels 2-69 would not continue to have this function after the change to digital broadcast, but should still work for the actual digital CATV signals from Comcast, my local cable service provider? If so, I think I can live with that.

TKX

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
No, it's going to be useless. It's an analog meter and it's going to give erroneous readings with digital signals. Doesn't matter if it's off-air or CATV.

-Hal

K
KJay Offline OP
Well that stinks... that's just what I was hoping wouldn't happen. So, it appears I am right back where I started. frown

B
Originally Posted by hbiss

In a short while most CATV systems will be eliminating the analog channels simply because they are bandwidth hogs.

They probably won't be doing that in anything close to a short while, and the reason is that they still have a significant number of customers without converters. Until the CATV systems have a low-cost set top box option (something that costs them $50 to buy instead of $250), they aren't going to eliminate the analog channels. Comcast has been battling the FCC over their requirement that new set top boxes support CableCard, which significantly increases the cost.

Originally Posted by brianl703
They probably won't be doing that in anything close to a short while, and the reason is that they still have a significant number of customers without converters.

Uh... Comcast is already doing it--see my post above. Anything above analog basic (Chs. 2-31) will be snow unless you have a box (and, of course, the subscription). Vancouver Comcast customers had to get their boxes by March 18, the rest of the Portland area is to follow this spring. Comcast will be providing two digital boxes to every customer who doesn't already have one.

B
They haven't gotten rid of analog basic (I assume that's the limited basic tier), though. If there's a cable company that's gone completely digital, I've yet to hear about it.

Yes, but it is certainly close to "eliminating analog channels, freeing up bandwidth for digital use" (approx. quote). The analog basic customters are already a small portion of Comcast's customers and will likely shrink even further, as digital basic is now offered for the same price. One bit I read quoted 2010 as Comcast's analog cut-off. If the entice people over to digital with the price, they may be able to do it before then.

B
Well, if that was the approx quote then Comcast started doing that about 4 years ago when they took the TV guide channel off analog.

There's a portion of customers who subscribe to limited basic. Those are the ones that Comcast will find it a challenge to get to switch to digital.

G
Comcast has a whole lot of "extended basic" customers and they are the ones who will get a satellite unless Comcast duplicates the "4 box" deal.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard