ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
It's bad enough when some DIY butchers a little Romex run; but when a professional blatantly ignores code, and defies common sense, it's simply shameful.

This is the service to a restaurant, in a strip shopping center. You can't see the 480v main panel off to the left, but you sure can see the transformer plunked down right in front of the 208/120 panel.

There is also the issue of the breakers being well over 78" from the floor.

[Linked Image from i143.photobucket.com]

Last edited by renosteinke; 02/22/09 10:12 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
John., what they are treating that room as storage ? IMO it not used for storage at all and as far for 480v switchgear that have only main breker or " small " 480v "loadcentre " on the wall which I know it can't be seen by the wall.

As far for the transfomer how it the 480v switchgear is clear path from transfomer ?

Yeah .,, Too tall for top rows for breaker to reach it.

I am pretty sure that is 75 KVA buzzbox size which I know it is common size however.,, I will not put anything top of the transfomer that is nice cooker allright.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
Marc, there is a 480v load center mounted in the wall. Coming out of the wall, next to the base of the transformer, is the flex that powere the transformer. Similar arrangement to feed the 208 panel.

Naturally, the room is used for storage. The transformer top is a very convenient place to chop vegetables - you can see the cutting board on top.

I can forgive the cook ... but not the sparky.

Simple, you just stand on the transformer to reach the circuit breakers. rolleyes

What is the required clearance for a 480v dry-type Xfmr like this?

Cat Servant
Oddly enough, there is the required 4" clearance between the transformer and the wall. What is lacking is the working space in front of the panel. Code says 'associated equipment' can project 6" in fromnt of the panel, not more. The transformer has to be 24" deep.

M
The transformer also makes a nice warming shelf as well...

To be serious, though, I would also be concerned about a buildup of grease inside the transformer, and its effects.

I always find it humorous that people will place a fire extinguisher so close to an actual fire hazard, instead of a reasonable (read...accessible) distance away.

Mike (mamills)

L
How 'bout the fire panel directly above?

A good blast and that is rendered useless. Unless every thing falls "just right.

W
looks like a chinease restaraunt. Whose to say that wall wasn't added to accomadate the kitchen when they moved in. I've seen worse. It's obviously not a "new" install..

Link Copied to Clipboard