ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
I have a 5000sq ft. existing home. 2 - 200a panels fed off a 320a meter can.

They are doing a 4500sq. ft. addition. That will include an indoor pool, geo thermal, basketball court, laundry rm, kitchen, bath, bar & pool table rm, storage, lots of outside flood lights.

They would like 2 panels in this addition. One for the pool and Geo, and one for the rest of the addition. (I may tell them just one panel cause the run is over 200', times that by 2 and thats a hell of a run.)

So the question is what do you think is the best option to do this service? CT cabinet?

Shake n Bake
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
4500 sqft addtion that is pretty good size there.

Did you do the load calucations yet so far ?

I am not suprise you will end up using 600 or 800 amp service there but check with your POCO for upperlimit for single phase service otherwise end up getting triphase service installed.

The last mega sized house I did work on it was a shy over 12K sqft that place end up having 800 amp 3Ø 208Y120 service installed in there { I could go with single phase however the three phase line is there so might well use it anyway }

I am pretty sure you will end up useing the CT metering set up.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
Well, first of all you need to do a load calculation on the residence and then add to the existing load, the proposed load.

You currently have an underground service feeding a 400a. meter can and will be adding a geothermal system. The geothermal will require a separate meter and will probably require a new lateral from DTE.

My suggestion is to call DTE and work with them as to whether or not they will need to increase the size of the lateral. They will need load calculations.

As for running two panels to the addition, I don't think that will be necessary but you will probably need to run circuits to the heating equipment for the pumps and the backup resistance heating.

George Little
T
Load calc, and contact DTE. And then from that point it looks like a CT setup. Thanks.

George why will the Geo require a separate meter? This will be my third Geo and all have been on homes with a single meter.

Shake n Bake
G
All the Geothermal systems I've inspected (about 10) have separate meters so they can get a reduced rate on their electric bills.

Be prepared to hear from DTE that they will need to change the lateral once you go to a CT cabinet.

George Little
T
Thanks George.

Shake n Bake
G
The funny thing about all of this is the utility will probably put this whole thing on a 25KVA transformer ... shared by the neighbor.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard