ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Trumpy #183769 01/22/09 12:49 AM
A
adroga Offline OP
Thanks for the replies...

Just to clarify i have been an apprentice since may, and I guess in the grand scheme of things I have barely gotten my feet wet.

But at the same time it took me 15 months of sending cv's and making phone calls before I got this opportunity. We work in places where if we asked to turn the circuits off we would have to work nights and they dont want to work nights unless absolutely necessary.

So how do I balance safe procedures without looking like Im avoiding doing the work?

By the way, these guys almost always work live and they have been electricians for 22+ years without incident...

Trumpy #183775 01/22/09 03:13 AM
L
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Originally Posted by adroga
do you guys usually work with the circuits live?

NO. Extreme circumstances only. You, as an apprentice. the answer SHALL BE NEVER.

So my second question is, how often do you guys get shocked?

Close to every day. When I see well trained educated MORONS do something stupid.
DON"T be one of them. Shocked and Electrocution, is less than a heart beat away.
Don't put your friends and colleagues in that position ( to notify the family, That su&ks!!! (some of us know)).

I received a s brief shock at 347 the other day working in a live J-box where conduit was installed right under it and I guess i grounded my elbow... it was a surprise more than anything but makes me wonder at what point can i hurt myself?

SUPRISE!!! Your still here!!! You did hurt yourself, only mildly. Don't put yourself in that position again.

Just BE smart and safe. YOU MAKE ALL YOUR OWN CALLS. You can't be replaced.

We always try to be careful, but mistakes do happen and I just want to see how frequently this happens to you sparkies out there.

The smart ones? Very rarely, unless they become lazy or set up.

One concept I was offered during my apprenticeship, was that "All wires of any type (even ground wires and neutrals) shall be treated as live, until such time as it is confirmed with proven test equipment, that they are not"

I've never forgotten that line. wink

PERFECT!!! Sums this up nicely!!!!

leland #183799 01/22/09 04:40 PM
R
Wear electrical gloves, and leather overgloves.

Even if the circuit is off, and you have no control over the main isolator, just for your own safety wear gloves.

Class 0 are rated for 5 kV.

Salisbury are a Worldwide well known brand in the utility industry.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Trumpy #183801 01/22/09 07:43 PM
A
As the forum statistician I will remind you all that ON AVERAGE you only get to receive so many shocks before getting the one that kills you. ON AN INDIVIDUAL basis that's many for some and for others it may be none.

The problem is you never know when you are going to get the one that kills you and leaves your wife (for most of you) and kids without a dad - all because you figured you could get the occasional shock and be OK. Think of it like playing Russian roulette with a revolver with say 167 chambers, would you pull the trigger.

Ann Brush #183807 01/22/09 08:36 PM
Cat Servant
I did look over the most recent accident data from Ontario ... and I note that the one fatality, and two injuries, happened to journeymen electricians who were changing lighting ballasts 'hot.'

It's natural to associate greater danger with higher voltages, more amps, bigger wires .... but here were three serious electrical injuries to trained personnel from those tiny wires on the small branch circuits.

It's something to consider.

Trumpy #183821 01/23/09 01:09 AM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard