ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 422 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Wow, thanks! I might ask him a few questions!
The refrigerator runs smoothly after I replaced the Klixon, now it's the power cord, door gasket and exterior paint. I already devised a paint scheme likely close to the original - white with blue accents. I might put the painting aside though and just do the technical stuff needed to make the machine useable.

The compressor is remarkably quiet during operation, our fairly new Electrolux is much louder! My dad even thought it might be an absorber since it's so quiet.

I did some googling too and found an old advertisement on Ebay. The 1962 model range looks similar, but the company logo seems to be different - already looks more modern. The 1959 models look too round and old-fashioned though. The 140l model we have cost 700 francs in 1962, probably a good month's salary! To imagine a door to door salesman convinced a poor old lady of buying this while she didn't even have electricity...

The only essential part that got lost over the past 5 years is the dial knob of the thermostat. I hope it turns up again!

I ran the fridge for just half an hour today and it cooled perfectly! The thermostat switches on and off too, so I guess I won wink

B
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
The compressor is remarkably quiet during operation, our fairly new Electrolux is much louder! My dad even thought it might be an absorber since it's so quiet.

Old American built refrigerators from the 50's and early 60's were similarily quiet, and much quieter than the brand new ones we buy nowadays. One reason for the quietness is that they didn't have the condensor and evaporator fan motors like modern frost-free fridges do now. Also, I think the old compressors were beefier, in heavier housings which suppressed noise. Its also possible the old compressors ran at slower RPM's than the newer ones. And yes, the old fridges lasted almost forever, it seemed like. The door gaskets were usually the first to go. My mother just recently retired a 1955 Sears Coldspot (Whirlpool) fridge that had been in the basement for years doing duty as an extra fridge. There was nothing wrong with the old machine...she just is getting older and doesn't keep as much food stored as she used to, so she decided she did't need to keep it running anymore.

P
Hi
I am from India. I have a Frimatic fridge about 35 years old or more. The door has 'Frimatic International' written on it. The markings on the compressor are not very clear. This is what I could decipher. No. 21321452. L INITE HERMATIQUE/ S.A. LIC TECUMSEH. Inside the door there is a small compartment on top with plastic sliding covers. Inside this is a switch with 'Beurre' printed on the label. A few months back the gas leaked because of damage to the freezer compartment and it had to be replaced with a local one and the gas refilled. Cooling was good but the fridge would work for couple of minutes and then the compressor would shut down as required, but it would restart within a minute, before the gas could stabilize. It worked for a few months and then it developed a new problem. the compressor would start as normally and then within 15 to 20 seconds shut down. After that it tries to start but there is heavy knocking. Removing the relay and putting a capacitor (as a starter) gets the fridge working now but it restarts within a minute after shut down. The compressor when connected directly to mains consumes 1.9 Amps on 230volt line. As per one of the 'experts' here the current should be about 1.2. Here in India most have not heard of a Frimatic fridge. No availibility of spares. So any ideas anyone how to rejuvenate this 'relic'. The fridge is a beauty as the cooling is good and the compressor very quite. Need details on the wiring diagram and specs for the compressor.

OK Praveen,
So you are saying that you have a fridge that was more than likely full of Arcton R12 (Freon) filled with a newer gas?
This new gas (could be R22 or R134) runs at higher load pressures than R12 ever did, which could explain the cycling of the compressor, it sounds like it could be going out on High pressure, hence the short cycling of the compressor.

Unless you can get a refrigeration engineer to put some "gauges" on it, to see what is happening with the High and Low Pressure sides of the system, we are flying blind here.

Just a disclaimer here, I am not a qualified Refrigeration Engineer, but I have worked on domestic fridges and gear up to 350kW of cooling in blast chillers during my time as an EC at a slaughter-house.

P
Hi Mike

Thanks for your response. You could be right on the diagnosis. I will check with the guy who filled the gas. I think freon is now banned here for its ozone 'gobbling' property. So it has to be one of the newer kinds that is inviormentel friendly. If that is the case, I will have to get someone to fill up freon gas and then see the results.
Is it possible to modify/replace the pressure switch to get the results or is that bad for the compressor?

Praveen

Last edited by Praveen; 02/01/09 08:25 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Hi Praveen,
If you have a compressor that was running under R12 Freon or even it's nasty cousin R14, there is no way that you can run it with newer gas.
The newer gas mixes R134 and R22 require additional oil that will burn out a compressor in a week or two if they are not designed for it.
There is no such thing as a "drop-in" gas between old refrigeration gear and new stuff.
As I said above, all the new stuff runs at appreciably higher pressures, you wil find that if R22 is put into a R12 system, the system will cycle on the High Pressure Overload, this will eventually kill the Compressor, due to the starting currents, if the start relay doesn't burn out first.

BTW, Welcome to ECN, mate!

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/03/09 09:07 AM. Reason: Typo
T
Quick news about my fridge: door gasket replaced, runs perfectly! Didn't paint it yet though.

NoFrost appliances only popped up here very recently (1 or 2 years ago), so that's likely not the difference - our Electrolux is more than 8 years old too. Lower RPM and heavier compressor is most likely the real reason.

How long was R12 commonly used in domestic appliances? Our 1991 Liebherr fridge/freezer combo still has R12, quite to my surprise. I thought these refrigerants were banned in the 80s. The name plate even says: "This appliance contains ozone damaging substances!".

N
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Quick news about my fridge: door gasket replaced, runs perfectly! Didn't paint it yet though.

NoFrost appliances only popped up here very recently (1 or 2 years ago), so that's likely not the difference - our Electrolux is more than 8 years old too. Lower RPM and heavier compressor is most likely the real reason.

How long was R12 commonly used in domestic appliances? Our 1991 Liebherr fridge/freezer combo still has R12, quite to my surprise. I thought these refrigerants were banned in the 80s. The name plate even says: "This appliance contains ozone damaging substances!".

Frost free fridges only recently? They have been commonplace since the 1960's here grin,but on the other hand you still use starters in fluorescent fixtures too. crazy Rapid start ballasts were replacing them in the 60's too (In all but the smallest & cheapest fixtures).

My 1992 Ford pickup came with R12 in the A/C I suspect by the next year they were using R134A & think appliances would be about the same.

T
Regarding fluorescent fixtures don't forget the voltage difference. 220/230V fixtures only use a simple choke for a ballast, that wouldn't work on 120V. Besides, manufacturers are trying hard to sell electronic ballasts.

To be honest, I don't look at the appliance market very closely, but I do remember Liebherr (German manufacturer) marketing "NoFrost" as a whole new feature last year, in addition to the built-in ice maker. Remember, most Europeans (city folks) have a supermarket within walking distance and usually live with apartment sized refigerators and (if at all) freezers. US sized refrigerators only popped up very recently and are largely seen as ridiculously huge energy hogs. Different situation, different solutions I'd say.

P
Hi Mike

Thanks, you have given me some imortant info. I should think that Frimatic used R12 gas, then again I am guessing here. Does this company have a website? Anyways I hope to locate a chap who can provide me with R12 gas and lets see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the welcome

Praveen

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard