ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Mike:
Agreed the newer cars have electronic engine controls but all gasoline fueled cars still have an ignition coil or a set of ignition coil "packs" that could be used as a source of high voltage if a suitable driver circuit were used.

Another source for high voltage thats easily obtainable would be a "fly transformer" out of an old CRT television set. Also the power supply out of an electrostatic air cleaner would be a good source of high voltage D.C..

A.D

G
There are any number of small transformers that will give you a spike with lots of volts if you have a sharp enough spike on the input. I have seen fence charger circuits that would work with a wall wart transformer. You could just use a small relay, picked through the N/C points (basically a buzzer) to give you the pulses. I wouldn't fool with that since a multivibrator circuit is so trivial to build, particularly if you just want it to go, without caring much about frequency stability.

Greg Fretwell
T
The door knob scan is likely 220V - it's scanned out of an Austrian book. Doesn't really make much of a difference though.

15 years ago there wasn't any problem getting high voltage sources... I got several old neon transformers even being an elementary school kid. Never did anything though except dismantle one.

At the same site they also gave me old can lights wired with asbestos clad cord...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard