ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Originally Posted by SteveFehr

In short, guys, don't cop the same attitude to your tools that audiophiles cop to gold-plated breaker busses wink

Not the same, cheap tools fail when they are needed most.

Originally Posted by SteveFehr

In short, guys, don't cop the same attitude to your tools that audiophiles cop to gold-plated breaker busses wink

Come on Steve,

Name brand, quality tools are like comparing your Porsche to a Dollar Tree Yugo.

You don't even use your tools enough to know the difference.

W
It also depends on what you're doing with your tools. If you're a car mechanic, no dollar store tool is going to take what a mechanic does to it day in and day out. Take an open end wrench as an example, it won't be long before a cheap wrench opens up and your knuckles are bleeding as a result. While cheap tools may work for you, they may not for someone else.

I'll take a bet with you smile you grab one side of a penny with dollar store needle nose pliers and grab the other with a Snap On pair, we'll see who still has a hold of the penny afterwards smile

Cat Servant
I've used, even continue to use, some "economy" tools. Yet, I've had plenty of disappointments.

I've had "allen wrenches" twist like candy canes; pliers and hammers shatter under modest use, ratchet heads split after an 18" fall on to asphalt.

Under 'performance," I've been unable to remove nuts with an 'economy' ratchet - then easily remove the same nuts with a similar size quality ratchet .... that's how much energy is lost in the cheap mechanism. Ditto for the results caused by poor screwdriver handle designs.

Which brings us full circle to the OP's question: does it matter with linemans' pliers? In my experience, it certainly does. While I am no fan of the Klein Company, linemans' pliers are one tool they get right.

H
My linesmans like most of my hand tools are Klein. I have tried other brands but always go back to Klein. I would feel pretty bad paying $185 for a pair of linesmans and not finding them in my tool pouch after working in an attic filled with 18 inches of loose fill insulation.

HIYER #181268 09/27/08 07:18 PM
S
I'm trying to figure out what a $185 pair of lineman's would do for you that a pair of Kleins or Knipex wouldn't...

S
I believe the right tool for the job. Take good care of your tool's and they will take care of you. Good tools puke out at the darnet times just like cheapos. They are just like a battery. They die when you need them. The odds of a cheap tool out lasting a good quality one are possible but slim. I will not gamble my bottom line on cheap tools on a whim that it will save me a few dollars.

Brand name is not my motivator. Snap On is a great tool. At the same time, I can buy way more good quality for the same price. My main tool line my pouch are Klines but I have Craftmans and Channel Lock too. I buy the tool I feel that will do the job I need it to based on my work habits and fair price for what I am buying.

My first choice for a corless drill is NOT Dewalt but I have one because everyone esle has them and how often have we killed all the batteries before they are recharged?

Another atribute that many of you may not even think of is availabilty. There is only 1 warehouse in all Of Southeast Alaska and a two Sears store with minimal selection. My Wrenches are Ace Hardware because there is one in pretty much all the towns I work out of and they have a good warranty although I may lose them before cashing in but I have it if need it.

Another issue is storing and transporting. Some days I am working out a van. Other days I operation out of a boat, a float plane, or even a 737. Weight and space becomes a big factor for me. Even for a run of the mill sparkie, I like my pouch be light as possible yet have what I need on hand while my secondary tools are in my tool box for quick access.

It all comes down to your priorities

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
N
Originally Posted by SolarPowered
I'm trying to figure out what a $185 pair of lineman's would do for you that a pair of Kleins or Knipex wouldn't...

Bragging rights is the only thing I can come up with but to buy those, the buyer needs the T-shirt to go with them.. You know the one with the finger pointing upwards saying: "I am with stupid".

NORCAL #181272 09/28/08 01:45 PM
H
If you look real close those $185.00 Ideal linemans pliers are made by Channellock.What makes them expensive is that they are insulated. The covering on the handles is actually
voltage rated.
Those have been out a long time before this 70E push. When they first came out they were the some of the first truly insulated pliers. If you look the Klein Tennite (red) handles are not voltage rated and how many times have we cut hot wires with them.I have a pair still in the package of 2000 Journeyman 150TH Anniversary and they are not voltage ratrd.
Hypress

hypress #181302 10/01/08 12:59 PM
C
I have 2 new pairs of Klein forged diagonal cutters. One is sitting right where I left them in a clients attic. I'm to embarrassed to knock on the door and ask to crawl in after them so I'm hoping another service job will come eventually.

I'm not afraid to cut anything short of live wires (no pun intended but I'll take it anyway) with them.

I guess my vote goes for good middle of the road tools that perform but wont make you cry when they go away.

Last edited by ChicoC10; 10/01/08 01:01 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard