ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Wow ev60 sounds like the (website removed by moderator) website, they go on to mention how expensive and inaffective the current advertising choices are. along with posting a free ad with them (promo code: "direct")

I also found: Kudzu.com , freedirectories.com, freelinks.com, localmetro.com, www.homeyardandgardendepot.com so my thoughts are, aside from beating the bushes and handing out business cards; sign up for all the online directories that offer a free service listings.

There's gotta be hundreds of them, and if they are all free, then no out of pocket expense. Heck I even when to craig's list for the first time, and jeez what a crappy looking site, but apparently LOTS of traffic...and free! atleast my post was.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Originally Posted by EV607797

The sad fact is that if you have to pay people to get people to come to you, then you are doing it all wrong.

Ed,
Truer words have never been spoken.
It seems to me, that a few people think that you simply place a few ads in the "right places" and the customers fall at your feet.
There is no shortcut, what ever happened to people actually SELLING themselves to potential clients,face to face?
I got an apprenticeship that way, had I posted to one of these sites, I'd still be waiting.

Cat Servant
There are a number of "basics" that have to be tended to before any form of 'advertising' or 'marketing' is successful.

The first is to remember your business model ... what it is that you do, and who you want to do it for. Then get the message out to those people.

There's an infinite amount of material available on advertising, but they all boil down to: get your message through to the people who count.

For example ... to use a silly example ... I could put together a short TV ad, and have a friend slip it in to the cable TV at the local prison. Think of the ultimate captive audience! I could even assure that they not get competing messages from others. A truly 'captive audience.' Yet, that audience is in no position to provide me with business, so my efforts would be completely wasted.

There is no doubt that the internet continues to revolutionize the way our society operates. A web site is a valuable addition to your arsenal; if nothing else, it allows everyone an easy, no-hassle way for folks to find something out about you, and what you do.

Again, an example ... many firms these days have essentially meaningless names, that give no clue as to their line of business. Just to pick two such firms, firms with a pretty wide distribution and reasonable size, let's consider "Alsco" and "SanMar." I can see their names in large letters on their buildings, but the featureless tilt-ups give not a clue as to what happens inside.
Yet, a quick web search will reveal that one is a laundry service, and another sells work clothing. Now I can consider whether they, and I, have something to offer each other.

"My Life in Advertising," a book written at the height of the Great Depression, is as true today as it ever was. Consider it THE primer on advertising and marketing. Beyond that, copy those who have already succeeded.

T
I'm surprised to see people knocking on advertising?

I have the website (which I have put zero effort in sense its creation, I'll put more time when I slow down.)
T-Shirts, the trucks get vinyl, direct mailers w/ follow up calls, flyers. Heck, when i take my 4 wheeler to the sand dunes I'll prop a little flag next to my logo'd up truck just to get the name out.

I havent in quite some time, but I do use craigslist and other free sites. I get a little bit of business from, it, but more importantly it bumps my website up the google list.

I also use couple online lead services which I don't care to name.

Advertising is the way to go if you ask me. I'm not saying go drop $1500 into some radio ads. But picking some cost effective efforts and working them is a must. I have been so swamped I havent advertised in 2.5 months because Iam having growning pains which include finding good guys I can trust that are capable to handle the work.

Shake n Bake
Cat Servant
Trick, I don't doubt the value of advertising ... it's just that simply tossing money at it won't accomplish much.

Claude Hopkins ... the author of the book I mentioned ... was manic when it came to tracking his advertising. Not only did he know what worked ... he knew what didn't, and had the data to back it up. He saw no end of lovely, expensive campaigns that accomplished little beyond inflating the egos of the customer and the pockets of the ad men.

Sometimes you try your best, and still get the wrong message out. My favorite tale was the realtor who had a "private storage' operation. One day, a guy came in and asked: Do you rent to the public, too?' Point taken ... place was re-named "Public Storage," and a giant success was born.

T
The basic advice in this post is right on IMO. Selective & focused advertising. Easy to say, a bit harder to do.

You have to be creative in ways to target customers. Constantly keeping you mind open to ideas, visiting forums like this and advertising forums are excelliant places for ideas.

I seen you post the Public Storage story before, short sweat and says allot. I didn't know where it came from, I'll be checking out that book.

Shake n Bake
W
As i mentioned in starting this thread, Lead generating sites don't work, or at least didn't work for me, AT ALL Serv*ceM*g*c in less than 1 month has costed me about $400.
Plenty of leads, that isn't the problem. It's that the leads are bad, and expensive. $33 for some odds and ends around the house, if I would have gotten the job it still would have represented about 5% of the profit.

I called SM and told them about my luck with their Leads, and I was told that it takes a while to get used to the way things work and that if I stick to it I'll have better luck.

The fact that I'm simply dead in the water right now (worst i've seen in 15 years) means I'll give it a few more try's but dang! I'll get in after 6 or 7pm and see an E-mail lead and not want to call the person too late, so I wait until 9 or 10 the next morning, and the job is awarded already, mostly the client tells me that they are not interested or simply don't give me any information, only twice have they actually told me that someone else got the job. I've even been scolded by a lady for "calling" so much!! (my first and only call)

Having Never had to advertise before, I'm at a serious disadvantage, plus all this time off has got me spending too much. I bought my first Rolex about a week ago, I haven't regret it yet but that's not like me to spend big on myself.

I Entertained the Idea of door to door flyers but at .55 cents each (for 10,000 & .30 for 25,000) I don't think 'll see a ROI, anytime soon,if at all! Cable commercials are fairly inexpensive as low as $35 per 30 second spot in a very local region, plus production and other costs. so I'll explore that idea a bit more.

I still thinking that the Internet is the way to go. any body come up with anymore free sites? I haven't, I'm stuck only four. frown

Last edited by Watt_Work; 09/05/08 01:48 AM.
N
I just canceled with SM all the leads I was gatting were people that realy weren't interested in doing the job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard