ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180547 08/29/08 07:43 PM
W
Anyone ever see or hear of a Ridgid model 444 pipe threader?
What size pipe will it thread? Got a chance to buy one for cheap but not familiar with that model. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
N
I searched the Rigid site & found nothing, now if it was a 535 machine, lots of info I have a old one & it's still going......

S
hey WT, I searched and searched and can not find anything on 444. Please do not take this wrong, are you correct on the model number?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
Just a note of caution ....

Many, many developing countries have exported pipe threading machines that are based upon proven models. Korea, India, and China are three examples.

I will not say these are bad, or ineffective machines. I know of one that was in use for nearly 25 years. The problem has to do with the dies; dies are not interchangeable between brands, so when your 'factory set' wears out, you're out of luck.

I have also encountered a number of used or older machines ... even quality makes such as Ridgid ... that leak an excessive amount of current into the case. In other words, are unsafe shock factories.

I've cautioned folks before as to purchasing unknown materials, of unknown origin, from auction sites ... but this might be a time when paranoia is prudent.

Otherwise ... threading equipment is clearly in the category of "company provided" tooling. Apart from the thread cutter itself, there is usually a substantial investment in vises, etc. (I once saw a very nice arrangement, where the machine was mounted on a pull-out tray on the truck). Yet more reasons not to grab just any 'bargain' that comes your way.

W
Reno I agree with you 100%, problem is I AM the company.

Sparkyinak I called the owner and asked him if model number was correct, he assured me it was. I saw one for sale on eBay, the seller listed it as able to thread 2 1/2 to
4 inch. Wonder if that is just the way it is set up or is that all it can do.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
S
I apologize for asking. I could not locate anything with the part number.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
For the occasional job, Harbor Freight sells a hand-held 'pony' that does up to 1-1/4", I believe. I do not know if it will accept Ridgid die heads; at any rate, they also sell their own dies. For $140, it's better than nothing.

You still need a pretty good vise to hold the pipe, though. Again, HF does have an affordable yoke vise, that you can mount to some truck bumpers.

Link Copied to Clipboard