ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
copper #180206 08/17/08 10:36 AM
I started my business this way. If you have your credentials in order (insurance, etc) There should be no problem subing. As for licensing it we have no said thing here in Pa. However, I assume you work on your own and have athe requires credentials. If you work along side(some job site) are you not working under the other License. As long as you make your own schedule and bill on your letterhead and have insurance you are good to go. I went to all the local supply houses and asked around, till I found some work. Worked for lots of diffrent folks and found out who's good and who's not. Learned alot of diffrent approaches as well.

Ob(Phil)

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
copper #180420 08/25/08 05:28 PM
W
You all sound like you just got dropped off with one dollar at the park and ride, have you got no friends in the business!? no ties to other contractors, have all your bridges been burnt?

Network! find other start up business and have lunch with the boss, make arrangements with quality licensed contractors...Agencies?! I always wondered how those places stay in business!

I started my company with $700 in my pocket and $10,000 in debt. for the first year I refused to work with my old boss just out of a sense of pride, I refused the crappy jobs he tried to kick my way, I struggled to meet new people and NETWORK, but since I got on my feet my old boss and I pool our resources, And I feel like an equal partner instead of a dependant.

this CAN be a TEAM effort with individuals, as mentioned in other posts, if nothing else, while I learn from all of you I hope you'll learn this from me.

BTW, my company did 1.4 mil in sales in it's 3rd year, and up until now have no time off. I'd love to take the family to a much needed vacation but my guys are hurting (they didn't save all the overtime for a rainy day)so i'm out there looking under new rocks and advertising for the first time.

NETWORK! with other EC's it's a powerful advantage when your starting up and or it's done right.

Watt_Work #180428 08/26/08 07:47 AM
I started my company with $700 in my pocket and $10,000 in debt.

The financial solvency requirement for a contractor in California is $2500.

How did you get around that?

copper #180443 08/26/08 05:31 PM
G
I think you may find subbing is just as hard to do as to find an available jouneryman. If there are no journeymen available it is likely they are all working and if they are all working then little chance you'll find someone slow enough to be willing to sub.
I see you are from Canada and if your in Alberta the chances of finding anyone that is good willing to sub is extremely small.

ggardiner #180501 08/28/08 04:29 AM
W
Electure,

Your right after getting my license I still had some funds left over in an account, about $4,000, at the time I had just moved out (divorced after 12 years), seperated from my family to live alone in a single bed room apartment, My 99 dodge ram had gotten impounded for missing a few payments. (everything was kept on hold just so I can qualifiy the account requirement) once all the paper work was finalized, I paid off my bills got my truck back and to this day (somewhere) I kept the bank ATM reciept with $700 marking the lowest point in my life (to date), I remember being layed out on my crappy (empty) single room apartment..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard