ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I have a big lighting project for a homeowner who wants to light up her 200 year old trees. I'm wanting to find a website that has the examples of the different colours of light so I can let her see the difference. Preferably a
landscaping site, but as of yet I've not found a good one. Anyone know of one. I've typed in HPS light and different combinations, but haven't seen any good examples as of yet. I know they gotta be out there. Thanks for your help. Steve...

S
The following link is to web page on GE's website. It is a virtural light booth they use in instructing lighting design. I was there a few years ago and got some excellent training there.

GE Color Booth

You can do virtual side by side comparision with different light. It is not as good as the actual booth they use but it does a good job. I hope this helps you

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
Typically HPS is not use for highlighting is likrly the reason you are not finding anything. HPS has a low color render index rating (CRI). This means that colors are harder to distinquish from one another, as if we did not know that already. MH has much higher CRI rating. Hence it is used in high visibility areas like big box stores, factories, and higher risk security areas.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Z
Thought of going with PLs? A few twin PL-13 up-light fixtures can do a pretty good job of highlighting a tree at a fraction of the power consumption of either HPS or MH.

An added bonus is that you can change the color by simply changing the lamps from 27K (orange-ish, like an HPS) up to a 41K or even a 50K (white-ish, like a MH).

Maintenance and re-lamp costs are minimal when compared to an HID fixture as well.

Ruud has a nice fixture that mounts easily on a 3" PVC RAB mighty-post.

Good Luck!

L
What is "PL" ?

Larry:
I think he meant compact fluorescent (CFL).
Another good site is RUUDLighting.com. Be good if I knew how to make that a link, but that's the site.

Rab makes a neat 100 watt MH bullet flood uplight too.

Landscape lighting is MH or CFL in my opinion.

John
R
Just a thought, if you go with a MH fixture, try screwing in a clear mercury lamp of the equal wattage (if the ballast says it will operate a mercury lamp, most non pulse-start MH ballasts will). I say this because the non coated mercury lamps produce more green and blue light and may enhance the foleage on the tree, making it look a deep green colour.. Just my 2 cents..
A.D

V
We used Ruud lighting and they are very helpful on lighting design. Rod

T
Why not low volt lighting? Is it because of height? The highest I have ever shot a 50w LV light is 30' but it was fairly bright I would think it could go 50'.

I love LV for landscape lighting.

Last edited by Trick440; 08/21/08 10:58 PM.

Shake n Bake
Z
Right, CFL=PL. Product designation would be PL-13 for a 13w, PL-9 for a 9w, etc. PLs are one or more tubes in a U shape. I prefer these type of CFLs as opposed to the twist-in, medium-base A-19 replacement types for a number of reasons.

Although LV definately has it's advantages, such as ease of wiring (direct burial as opposed to PVC conduit, etc.), I find the light isn't quite as brilliant. The required transformer also presents another link in the chain of possible issues down the road.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard