ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Never mind I found it. But I still don't have the answer. (Hint: Special Permission). So what's the distance???

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Alan:
We do not have a Mechanical Inspector, so the HVAC is 'mine'. Without the units in-place, no final. One option is to delete the HVAC CU's from the new SFD permit, and file a seperate permit for them.

John
E
George,

I guess it would be the inspector’s interpretation of equipment requiring service and if fire alarm panels are included. The inspector could use 90.4 if it was his interpretation that fire alarm panels need servicing on a regular basis. Are we on the same page?

Tony

H
Here is the argument that someone gave me. If there are fuses in the AC disconnect, it needs workspace clearances. If there are no fuses in the AC disconnect it doesn't need clearances because it is just considered a "switch".

G
Why would you need to replace fuses with the disconnect energized? Don't they usually have a dead front cover over the line side lugs?

Greg Fretwell
G
The answer to my question on clearance in front of a "low voltage" alarm panel is given in 110.26(A)(1)(b). "Special Permission" for a dimension less than Table 110.26(A)(1). Note: "Special Permission" must be in writing.

George Little
Y
George
Most Fire alarm Panels have 120/240 volt feeds going to them.Usually only the remote devices & Equipment are strictly low voltage.

H
Greg,

Around here some of the HVAC disconnects do not have dead fronts and you could easily touch the line side coming into the disconnect.

G
I would have no question about this if the disconnect had fuses and no dead front cover. (and I don't mean "lost or missing")

Greg Fretwell
R
I am sorry, but based on the current wording of this section all electrical equipment, including receptactles an light switches require working space. This section needs work but the code making panel refuses to accept reasonable limits as to the types of equipment that the section applies to. In making this statement I read the word require as having this meaning: "want: have need of" and not that some rule or code or other thing makes you examine the live equipment.

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard