ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
JDP1 Offline OP
Hi
I am new the forum. I am trying to locate a specialty tool used to cut threaded rod for lamps/light 1/8 1/4 3/8 I run across a lot of older installations where this tool would save considerable time verses a hacksaw.
Thank you in advance

Welcome to ECN from one of the 'Jersey Guys'!

McMaster-Carr has a rod cutter (bench mount) in their catalog (paper version #104)

Sorry, I don't have a link to them, try Google.

John
G
I use my 4" grinder to cut things like this. Run a nut down the rod past the place you want to cut, cut it and then use the nut to reform the threads as you back it off. Usually the grinder makes a pretty clean cut tho. If it does look burred use the side of the wheel to taper it before you back the nut off.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I think that the small angle grinder is the most under-appreciated tool around.

I started carrying one for a specific job - only to find that I used it far more than I had ever imagined. Unless the ironworkers are on site though, I am usually the only person with one.

The cutting of threaded rod and running thread is one job they do very well.

I have to agree, with the above 2 posts, a 4" angle grinder does a pretty good job of cutting threaded rod and a lot of other things, I might add.
However,
I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people on a building site, using a grinding wheel as a cut-off blade and vice-versa and they wonder why the wheels don't last long, or even worse, they shatter.
Cut-off wheels are not designed to have side-ways force applied to them, as they are quite thin.

M
I like using my porta band saw for cutting rods. The threads cut clean with the correct blade used.

It's kind of time consuming to run a hexnut 5 feet up the length of a 10 foot piece of threaded rod.

I use a hacksaw, and then chamfer the end of the rod with my angle grinder, or if I've got a lot of pieces to cut, with a bench grinder. A vise helps tremendously.

G
"It's kind of time consuming to run a hexnut 5 feet up the length of a 10 foot piece of threaded rod."

Chuck it up in your drill

Greg Fretwell
"Chuck it up in your drill"

It gets to a certain point in the process where the rod, not so much with 3/8" but with 1/4", wows wildly around on the loose end.

Even when I go slowly, this happens. I hold the nut with the vise.

Link Copied to Clipboard