ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
electure #179909 08/05/08 08:07 PM
I was doing a job way up in some hills at this creepy house. I just wanted to get out of there. Finally finished the job, and got in my van and took off. Went a good 2 miles down the hill on this road you cant possibly go faster than 10 MPH on, got to the bottom of the hill finally, went through the city [1 mile] and onto the freeway. I got 3 exits away and finally came to the conclusion that the reason the glass on my back doors wernt the same was because one of the doors was open, just swinging about. At first I thought 'Its been like that for a long time' then I started slowing down, exited the freeway and pulled into this parking lot. I expected to see half of the pile of crap in the back to be missing... but I found nothing missing!

I shut the door and drove home somewhat embarrassed.

It hasnt happened since.

~Matt

I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.
electure #179917 08/06/08 06:47 AM
S
Originally Posted by electure
I see a lot of guys on the road using bungee cords to fasten down materials, ladders, etc.

They're NOT intended for the primary hold down, in fact, some of them state so quite clearly, embossed right in the rubber.
That's just BS for the lawyers, like how there are no waterproof watches anymore, just "water resistant" and roman candles printed "do not hold in hand" or how you'll see pacifiers and baby bottles in stores emblazoned "not for children under 3" just like every other product coming off the boat. Of course, they're primary hold-downs, that's the entire point of bungees! That they try to pretend otherwise because they're worried about breaking is simply sad.

Steve,
Of course, they're primary hold-downs, that's the entire point of bungees! That they try to pretend otherwise because they're worried about breaking is simply sad.

I don't suppose you've ever had one snap holding the ladders down on your Porsche on your way to work.

You're an engineer, not a tradesman

electure #179920 08/06/08 08:11 AM
N
Originally Posted by electure
Steve,
Of course, they're primary hold-downs, that's the entire point of bungees! That they try to pretend otherwise because they're worried about breaking is simply sad.

I don't suppose you've ever had one snap holding the ladders down on your Porsche on your way to work.

You're an engineer, not a tradesman

LOL.:)

NORCAL #179924 08/06/08 08:49 AM
Z
Ouch!

Zapped #179925 08/06/08 09:05 AM
V
I was following my boss down Hwy 8 to a new job a few years ago. He had loaded a 14' step ladder in the bed of his full size Pu. When he loaded it with the top in the front of the bed I suggested he turn the ladder around to have the heavy end in the bed. He said "It's OK". He hit a bump at MPH and I watched the ladder teeter-totter and come right off the truck. I swerved and missed it buy inches. Made for an exiting morning. Rod

Zapped #179926 08/06/08 09:21 AM
Cat Servant
A Porsche with a ladder rack ... now, that I would like to see! laugh

That's an interesting point about bungees; I had not heard that before.

There has been an amazing amount of creative engineering put into a variety of ladder holding devices; I can't say I'm convinced the problem has been solved. Especially for multiple ladders!

Even when they achieve "ladder harmony," there will still be the problem of strut, pipe, and all the other stuff we need to haul.

The guy I feel for the most was the guy who had a rolling toolbox fall off. While he did immediately stop, the box (those things aren't cheap) was destroyed ... and he had countless sockets, etc., spread all over the freeway.

What puzzles me the most is that ... how is it I've had tool bins drop open, expensive stuff either fall off, or get 'beamed off' in transit ...yet the cup of coffee I inadvertently leave sitting on the rear bumper doesn't move an inch, no matter how rough the road?

electure #179927 08/06/08 10:32 AM
S
I work with engineers electure, they are the scariest ones to be around when the step away from the slide ruler. Especially the ones who think they are electrical engineers also.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
Let's not get too carried away bashing engineers ... that's my job laugh

Last edited by renosteinke; 08/06/08 09:00 PM.
S
All come on now, I'm not getting carried away but if the slide ruler fits in the pocket...

The engineers I work with are mainly are civil (not) and structual. Some of them even started out as ee's by went down a differnt path later. Some of them however feel their degree is good across the board and being an engineer excempts them from following code.

I was going down a country road years ago behind a dump truck pulling some sort of equipment trailer. As it went around a curve, the trailer started to act funny as it went out of sight. As we cautiously went a round the bend, the dump truck was stopped on the side of the road, and without the trailer. We look to the right and there was a 100 yard swath of missing Sassafras trees with the trailer at the top. It also flatten an extra large mail box. Luckly no one got hurt or nothing else was damage.

Would a track flying off of a track vehicle while on maneuvers in the militay count as AWOL materials? shocked

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard