ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
LarryC Offline OP
What is the correct method to install a feed-thru thru a wall?

I am envisioning a 6" square box with a cover, on each side of the wall and 2 short pieces of 2" EMT connecting the two boxes.

The feed-thru would be used to run temporary power, communication cables, liquid lines, etc. Obviously the covers would be installed when the pass-thru is not in use.
One side of this feed-thru is in a conditioned space and the other side is the building's loading dock.

Thanks,

Larry C

Larry:
Is it a fire-rated wall??
Condensation may also be an issue.

John
Cat Servant
This is primarily a design issue, but a good one for discussion.

For a fire rated wall, the key is to restore / maintain the fire resistance of the wall. Even for a 'normal' wall, the idea is to keep noise, drafts, etc., from passing through.

The method you propose isn't bad ... though I would use 'running thread,' rather than trying to get nipples to to be the right size. I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would want two nipples though ... keep in mind that all conductors of a circuit need to be run in the same nipple, and that you need a partition between low voltage and power cables.

Easier to do, perhaps, is to install one of the commercially available fire-stop products. These are nicely made tubes, flanges on either side .... and large enough to pass your pipes through. You seal the remaining gaps with the appropriate products, and all is well.

How to make the necessary holes in the wall? A roto-hammer, with the appropriate core drill, makes easy work of the chore.

Link Copied to Clipboard