ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Hi guys..
I am new to this forum.. I was observing some of the discussions here and I've seen a lot of professional electrical practitioners here.. By the way, I am an industrial electrician on one of the biggest petrochemical company here in KSA.. I only hold a working contract here because I am a Filipino..

We have an expansion on our plant..I want to know your expert opinion guys about this Liquid rotor starter (Water with sodium carbonate) which is recently installed on our 13.8 KV, 8 MW motor.. I know some of you guys already experienced this kind of set-up but since this kind of starter is new to me then I want to have an input about the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of starter..

Here’s the motor specs which having a liquid rotor starter:

KW = 8000
Rev / min = 1193
St. Volts = 13200 ± 5%
St. Amps = 394
Rotor Volts = 2778
Rot amps = 1727
Freq. = 60 Hz
Ph. = 3
Enclosure = IP55
Stator mass = 19000 kg
Rotor mass = 11600 kg
Cooler mass = 3400 kg
Rotor axial float = 12 mm total
Oil qty. / bearing = 34 liters / bearing
Oil flow / bearing = 9 liters/min/bearing
Water flow bundle = 396 liters / min

Our ambient temperature here reaches 56 degrees Celsius during summer and the motor application is for Polymer Extruder.. And also, There's no capacitor bank installed on this motor when I checked the drawing..

Dennis

S
I can't help you but is sounds like one big motor. Can you post a pic?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
D
Yes sparkyinak it's a big motor, We have 2 existing plants having 2 Extruder motors each. our plant 1 and 2 is having 5 MW motor but not same set-up as what we installed now.. actually, we solo run the motor today and there's no voltage drop.. We have possitive impact on it's first run but we'll see the performance after the screw conveyor is coupled..

I don't know where to host my pdf file for the motor design.. I will re-upload this file for some other time.. Download it here.. sorry for inconvenience.. thanks

J
That is one monster of a motor. Over 10,000 Hp. You mention rotor voltage and amps? Exactly what type of motor is this? Since NEMA stops rating at 500 Hp, who is the manufacturer? Is it Weg Electric?

R
This one might be a little out out of our scope here. You may want to try here..

Don(resqcapt19)
D
@JValdes
Yes JValdes all the above data's is in the drawing I've uploaded on my previous reply.. it was made by ABB automation.. I think that was Germany.. the motor manufacturer performance actually is already proven on its all outputs in the years of service.. and 90 % of our plant uses ABB motors and some are SEW eurodrive for product handling / packaging mostly.. I was only looking for any idea about this electrolyte rotor starter.. anyway, the board of our inspectors already approved the said starter just today after they successfully run this motor with load.. thank you for the reply.. I appreciate you guys for being so attentive on our concerns..

@resqcapt19
thank you resqcapt19 I will try this link.. more power to this forum..

Dennis, I take it that the 'starter' has plate[s] which can be dipped progressively into a bath of electrolyte, [such as a salt solution], varying the area wetted to give variable resistance and thus controlled amps for starting. This method has been in use since the 1920s.

Wood work but can't!
D
That's correct Alan Belson, We installed this starter to control the torque and speed of the motor during start-up by varying the resistance in the rotor. We used this to have a soft start and to help our pony motor during its initial start to have a soft slope of current and avoid excessive stress on the rotor winding. On its final run when the speed is already at its maximum, this starter will cut-off and the short circuit mechanism on the motor rotor will be engaged. Is anyone here have an idea what will be the future problem of having this starter? considering that we have 2KV voltage being dipped on it.. anyway, thank you so much Alan Belson.. I'll be temporarily out for some time.. I'll be back soon.. Thank you..

J
ABB, Excellent quality. I did not know they were still in the motor business? But their drives are the best in my opinion.

Not to confuse with (AB)!

T
ABB is a combination company ASEA Brown Boveri ( sp?).

ASEA is Swedish through and through.

Brown Boveri is Swiss.

They teamed up to match against Siemens et. al.

Huge in High Voltage DC, hydropower... etc.

Tesla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard