ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I have never had a single issue or problem with MS Vista, or with any of the Vista updates.

'course, I don't have Vista. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
G
I have 98SE running quite well on 6 systems (one disk)

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by noderaser
I've never had my updates set to automatic... But then again, it's to avoid downloading "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification", so my bootleg copy of Windows won't stop working.

Yeah,
I must say I agree there.
The WGA software is nothing short of annoying and to a degree will seriously slow your system down.
I tried to install my copy of XP from my laptop onto one of my desktops as a dual-boot system, boy do I wish I'd never even tried.
However, it does go to show just how much information M$ can get from your system, over the internet connection.
Scary.

G
What I'd like to know is when you set vista to not download automatically is how to stop the constant reminders updates are available and once you say no to one how do you stop it from coming back time and time again?

Isn't there a "Don't notify me, I will download and install manually" option like in XP?

Isn't there a "Don't notify me, I will download and install manually" option like in XP?

Nope,
We just got the full noise flash version of Vista at work.
To be honest, I wish (as the systems admin there) we'd stayed with XP.
Alerts for everything under the sun, it has to be the most annoying OS I've ever worked with.
And this is the future, is it?
God help us all!!

What annoys me the most, is the fact that we actually paid money for this.

UbuntuLinux (FiestyFawn) could have done the same thing without all the rubbish and quarter of the System requirements.

Yes, all the horror stories of Vista have not made me want to spend money for the upgrade, or even go about getting a bootleg copy. While my computer count is currently 2/2 Windows XP/MacOS, I think I will convert 1 on the XP machines to Ubuntu. The other XP Machine would be for gaming. I am also going to install an XP partition (and VMWare) on my new MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, Leopard hasn't been that great of an "advance" either. Seems like Apple's announcement about "Snow Leopard" being mostly a functionality (and not feature) upgrade is an admission that they might have screwed up a little bit too. But, it's still leagues better than Vista will ever be.

Yes, all the horror stories of Vista have not made me want to spend money for the upgrade, or even go about getting a bootleg copy. While my computer count is currently 2/2 Windows XP/MacOS, I think I will convert 1 on the XP machines to Ubuntu. The other XP Machine would be for gaming. I am also going to install an XP partition (and VMWare) on my new MacBook Pro.

On a similar note, Leopard hasn't been that great of an "advance" either. Seems like Apple's announcement about "Snow Leopard" being mostly a functionality (and not feature) upgrade is an admission that they might have screwed up a little bit too. But, it's still leagues better than Vista will ever be.

I gotta agree with you on Apple, and I only use Macs. I had Tiger on my G4 iBook for a while, until the hard drive crashed. With 768MB of RAM it was OK, as long as all the fancy stuff was turned off. (Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.) I'm not even going to try Leopard, at least until I get a newer Mac. I'm still trotting along with Panther on this iBook and four old G3 iMacs, and until Camino goes Tiger-only I will be.

But on the other hand, I'd still rather use a recent Mac w/ 256MB RAM and Tiger/Leopard over a recent PC w/ 1GB RAM and Vista, just due to the constant nagging Mike noted.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
J
I finally got the nerve to download SP1 for vista. To my amazement it went seamlessly and my pc is working better than ever.

They recommended to wait for the update to be ready via automatic updating. I set the controls to notify but not to download or install the updates, to let me choose. When it finally showed up I bit the bullet and let it in. No problem, Glad I did it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard