ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 161 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Good luck, Virg. My parents were nearly always in the straits you find yourself in now and it wasn't easy with 6 munchkins to care for. The good Lord has given you work, integrity and energy and that's a good start toward stable income. If you can keep working on the balance of timing and managing the details by gaining advice here and common sense, it'll work out in the long run even if it's tense in the short run for a while.

There are lots of ways people help each other out - a hand up when you're down, a word of advice or encouragement, or some small measure of support - and it lets you know that your effort is recognized as being good and fruitful (even if it doesn't seem to be paying off fast enough), all hope is not lost and that people recognize we're not in this life alone. My dad has always been one of those people who jumped at the chance to help others (on the side of the road or if he heard of some odd job that needed done for someone) and I know it's his way of trying to pass along the grace and mercy we've received when we needed it.

G
Virgil...Checks in the mail CASH IT.

So how is the great "American Dream"? Kind of a rude awakening Huh? I could go into all the reasons why being anything but a Contractor (Electrical or otherwise) is the the way to go, but you know them already.

IMHO

I do want to give you advise on your helper. Pay the guy what he is worth. If he gives you a days work for a days pay give him his just due. How long did it take to find this guy? If he comes to work everyday (even though you pick him up) and is sober you have won 75 percent of the battle. You start messing with his free time he won't be around then you have to start the process over again.
If he had to drive his own vehicle and spend three hours a day traveling any money he makes is gone in gas expenses. One suggestion is to hire someone closer to the jobs or do you drive 85 east one day and 85 west the next?

I have been both a helper and an EC and helpers cost money but they can make you money.

Billable hours. Streamline somehow and charge those travel hours. You mark up the price of your material for a reason, charge the travel time for the same reason. TO MAKE MONEY.

All us old timers have been in your position and alot of young guys too. I know you have pride in your work so keep it that way and don't cut corners for the extra buck.

Good Luck,
Tom

P.S. CASH THE CHECK

Thanks so much for the kind advice and gifts from the heart.

All of you are saints. Really.

I have no other words that could possibly express my gratitude.

"Y'all are somethin' else" as my Granny would say.

Thank you again.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Tom Offline
Virgil,

All I can add is that West Virginia is a tough sell. Though I have never lost any money on a bid job, I have worked for 25 cents an hour.

Like you & many others on this forum, I've been where you're at. You just have to tough it out until your business grows.

Good luck.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
A
Virgil,

Three Trucks, $75,000.00
Electrical Tools, $15,000.00
Six Employees, $3500.00 a week!
Supply House Bills, $19,000.00
My Wallet Contents $3.00
Throwing the main on in the 2000A MDP and it all works.... PRICELESS

I know where you're coming from and feel your pain. All I can say is hang in there. Good luck.

R
Virgil, I don't know exactly what to say that would make you feel better, but like others have said, I have walked in your shoes.

Just remember, as cloudy as today or tomorrow is, the sun will shine soon, and brighter than you recalled.

God bless

Roger

Virgil:
From my PO Box to yours my friend.....
I don't now if it will make you feel any better; but
"been there, done that" like most of everybody here.
Had a messy divorce quite a while ago, left me in financial hell. Hit bottom, started over, etc., etc.
We/I have our bad days and good days, weeks and months. Usual stuff, payroll, taxes, truck payments, suppliers, etc....
I always tell my wife.."don't worry, it (money) will get here", and ya know it always works out. Hell a payless payday for me is not unusual.

Arseegee has a great outlook, like I do, it's worth it in the end. The rest of the guys have a good outlook too.
John

John
Resi is a tough business. I've never been involved in it other than doing a few side jobs. In the part of the industry that I'm in, there is a thing called "material on hand". After the gear, fixtures, etc are submitted and approved, we have the suppiers put the items that we need in production, and have them shipped asap. We also have a pay schedule that is part of the contract (a written schedule right in the contract). As the project progresses, and we receive our material, we submit invoices to the GC, and they pay for a percentage of the material(85% on one of the projects that I'm on). As we install the material, we then deduct that portion which has already been paid. I don't know if this would ever work in the residential portion of the industry, but you might consider it, if you could get it written into your contracts. It would give you some relief.
All that may not mean much to you right now, but I hope it helps in the future. Virg, we've had some good laughs, and it pains me to see you in such a fix, but I have confidence that this will all work out. You remember my post of not many days ago. My thoughts, and prayers are with you, and know that I won't pillow my head tonight without going on bended knee to the One who can take care of all this. He owns the "cattle on a thousand hills". I think He can pay off a supplier, and even a phone bill.

With much concern,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
F
Virgil, I've been there too. 5 years ago I was so far in the hole I didn't ever think I would get out. My wife and I went to a class they offered at our church for 6 Sunday mornings based on Larry Burkette's(sp?)christian financial management book. We sat down and went through the plan and stuck to it. Everybody got paid and we avoided bankrupcy. It took us a while to accomplish and it was tough at times but I didn't leave anyone holding the bag. We're not financially independant yet but don't have any long term debts other than our mortgage. It's still hard once in a while to resist getting spread too thin and tying up all our money in everyone's materials and being left with nothing to live on. We were headed there last month with over $12,000.00 owed to us, $500.00 in the bank and $9000.00 due by 11/30. We ended up with just enough collected to pay bills and buy next weeks groceries by the deadline. On Monday I let the 2 GCs that owe me know that I'm at a stand-still on their jobs until they are paid up. I've been doing service work that pays immediately this week. The 2 GCs promised full payment by Friday. I'll not let them get so far again. The first thing to remember to do when you find yourself in a hole is to STOP DIGGING! I'm 43 years old and can't for the life of me understand why I can't remember that sooner than I always seem to.
We're praying for you and have mailed some help. Don't even think about paying back. I wouldn't have what I do if not for the grace of God and the kindness of others. Just pay it forward.
Fred & Heather

I hope I'm truly worthy of all this kindness.

I'll do everything in my power to be.

Thank you all.

Fred and Scotts, you said it best. I'll pay forward, meaning that I look forward to the opportunity to help someone, as you have me.

I thank God for each and everyone of you.

[Linked Image]

Like Watt Doc once said,

Down, but not out.

-Virgil

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard