ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178324 05/28/08 10:14 AM
G
I have just had a situation with two computers both having the exact same problem. It seems a few days ago my son found his computer could no longer get on the internet and he could not delete some files or do any type of changes the computer decided should be done by an adminstrator (computer does not have an administrator owner is suppose to have those rights) this was XP home, at the time we thought he had picked up a virus of some sort from the way things were going.

Last night Windows sent their latest update to my computer (on Vista) after updating to it I then experienced the same problems he was having on the first computer at that time we realized a few hours before his problem was noticed Windows had sent an update to him.

I have since talked to another person who works where I am and she just had the same thing happen a couple of days ago and was about to send her computer to the shop for repairs thinking she had a virus of some type.

It might be a good idea to not install the updates for a couple of days until Windows has a chance to look into it as I suspect they must be getting a lot of complaints about this.

L
Talking to the IT people at work, the culprit may be Windows XP Service Pack 3. There opinion was that the user may need some new drivers.

Larry C

J
I have had to do three (3) reinstalls of Vista OS due to the updating problem. I worked for four days on mine with Dell and we could not find the problem. We did one mirror image reinstall then two complete reinstall of the OS. Just for trial and error purposes, I turned off automatic updating. The PC has worked just fine since then. I talked to MS and Dell regarding this issue. MS wants me to download Vista SP1 and Dell doesn't want me too. I am now downloading manually, only the important updates with no issues so far. Dell wants me to do it this way for a few weeks then turn automatic updating back on. I have no clue why?
Anyone familiar with these issues and Vista SP1 updates? I sure could use some feedback as this PC has become a part time job for me. Thanks.......John Valdes

G
The update that got my computer was Vista SP1 and I am still reloading things into that computer. the update that got the XP based computer I am not sure of yet haven't had time to reallylook at that one. Needed the one I work from home working first then worry about the play computer.

I'm starting to think maybe Windows is getting a little out of hand these security updates are to protect the computer from outside interference and I do admit it did only MS idea of outside interference seems to be anyone that does not work for them.

G
I found out MS supports knows some tricks they won't tell the Dell people and you have to pay MS $70 to talk to you.

Greg Fretwell
J
Greg, I am having some success with MS via email. I had an issue a couple years ago and kept a copy of it.
I emailed the same guy at MS and we have been communicating regulary for the last couple of days. He has also told me that he would call me if I had trouble with the SP1 update.
I am still hesitant to procede with the download even though he encouraged me again to do it today.
The instructions and overview of SP1 indicate that the OEM be consulted before it is downloaded, to address possible issues with drivers after the install. He did admit that not downloading it would not be an issue, but he is sure high on me downloading this update.
See ya at the electrical forum.......John (J.V.)

G
I just got both computers running again the way they are suppose to and now I have turned off the automatic updates I will choose which gets put in and when from now on and I will research each one on the net for possible problems before it gets into my machine again.

One of the things I noticed on the XP computer was the update set the Internet controls to work offline all the time. Even after a reimage this was still turned off and I had to do a complete reload of the OS to get rid of it as it kept coming back over and over again.

J
ggardiner, I am also doing the same. No more automatic updating for me. I am only installing important updates at this time. I also am updating Office the same way. I wonder why MS is pushing SP1 when it is full of bugs, just like Vista was when it came out. (still is in my opinion) I got this Vista machine the very week of the release. At that time there were no XP machines available, but now I see them all the time advertised by the electronic chain stores

I've never had my updates set to automatic... But then again, it's to avoid downloading "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification", so my bootleg copy of Windows won't stop working.

J
Not being a PC expert, I always did what MS said was recommended. I now know that their recommendations are no more than recommendations and do not have to be followed.

The question regarding Vista SP1 still begs an answer.
MS HIGHLY recommends I download it. But they do admit that NOT downloading it will cause no issue. My problem is, I am certain it will cause problems and create more work. I am just starting to get everything in order on this PC.
Anyone have an opinion on Vista SP1? Would you install it?
Thanks John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard