ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
I bought some of this the other day without looking at it.
When I opened the roll it was clear this is a lot less product than blue smurf. The stuff is flimsy and has nasty mold marks in it, clearly not an article 362 product, yet it costs exactly the same. If you do bite, be sure you get some orange connectors. This stuff is so soft it jams up in a blue fitting.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Never ran any of the "pumpkin pipe" but did notice that the fitting cost more than the "smurf tube" fittings.

I thought the difference was color so you could see the different systems.

G
My advice is to skip it and use the blue. You can put some colored tape at some handy interval to identify it if you need to.

Greg Fretwell
S
Why would there be a difference between the two besides color?

G
That was what I thought but the orange is definitely an inferior product that is lighter (thinner wall) and does not have the same fit and finish. It is not identified as "ENT" or any other "U/L" listing as far as I can tell. There is some unintelligible writing on it that I can't read.

Greg Fretwell
S
We've got a ton here the IT guys use for fiber, but I'd never really looked all that closely, I just assumed it was plenum-rated ENT, as orange generally indicates plenum and it sure looks like ENT. You're right that the writing is illegible, it's insane...

I think I can make out:
CONDUIT 1" PLENUM CORRUGATED (ETL) UL ####

...but I can't read the UL #.

T

S
Can't tell from that site, but I believe it's this stuff:

http://www.carlon.com/Product_PlenumGard.html

It's article 770 & 800 stuff, not 362.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 07/15/08 06:57 AM.
E
It was originally designed as inner duct for pulling fiber into existing banks of 4" conduits. Three or four of these would be pulled in to create separate compartments. The walls were thinner since it didn't really need much in the way of crush resistance.

Inner duct eventually migrated indoors as IT guys liked to use it for added protection for fiber cable. It's not necessary, but some people just prefer it. Since it was IT guys making these decisions, the popularity of using inner duct took off dramatically and Carlon was one of the larger manufacturers of it. They came out with plenum versions, smooth or corrogated, multiple colors, etc.

Eventually, this popularity extended into the low-voltage industry everywhere. Speakers, CATV, phone, you name it. Carlon seized this opportunity by developing a completely separate line of products for this use.

So, in reality, this was never really meant to be directly compatible with ENT at all. It was a separate product line that had much less stringent requirements.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
Your tag line says it all, the guy at the home depot did say it was the same stuff.
Since it costs more, the 25' roll I bought will be my last. I have no problem "reidentifying" my low voltage run with tape.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard