ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Questioning the electrical norms
by HotLine1 - 03/04/21 12:35 PM
Lock-down Thread
by gfretwell - 03/03/21 12:38 PM
Northern Tool Recalls Powerhorse Generators
by Admin - 02/25/21 09:49 PM
You will never guess
by gfretwell - 02/25/21 07:48 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A must read post !! [Re: HCE727] #177723 05/10/08 07:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 186
HCE727 Offline OP
Member
After all of the excitement died down, with the fire co., we were waiting for PECO to come out. It hit me, when we first arrived at the house, we were not getting voltage. After we turned on the breaker next door, we had 120v. I told my helper to go next door and turn off the circuit that he turned on earlier. That was it! That circuit was traveling from one house to the next, traveling through the siding and capping. When I went next door to check it out, the wiring in the basement was a mess! I removed the circuit from the breaker, and put the service, next door, back together. I told the home owner what we found. I also told him the neighbor needed to get an an electrician, to find out what was causing this. After seeing the wiring in that basement, I didn't want any parts of that!

Last edited by HCE727; 05/10/08 08:00 PM.

Hank
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: A must read post !! [Re: HCE727] #177725 05/10/08 07:57 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 186
HCE727 Offline OP
Member
The next day I received a call from the electrician who was working on the problem (poor guy, his wife works with the HO, a freebie). He was there all day, ripping out wiring and jb's and putting it all back and still couldn't find the problem. He was going back the next day to try and find it. I told him to call me and let me know what he finds. The next day he calls me and tells me that he found it! It was all caused by an old window shaker AC, that was put in a couple of days ago. He unplugged the AC and there was no more voltage.


Hank
Re: A must read post !! [Re: HCE727] #177728 05/10/08 10:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 265
S
Sixer Offline
Member
I posted here a couple of years ago about finding refridgerators on ungrounded systems having anywhere from 60 to 120 volts on the casing of the fridge. Once a ground was established, it solved the problem. Would the A/C causing your problem problem be doing something similar?


Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Re: A must read post !! [Re: Sixer] #177729 05/10/08 10:35 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member
It very well might have ... and for the same reason: compressor shorting to the case through the refrigerant. I suspect the "leakage current detector interrupters" that A/C's now come with would have tripped in this situation.

Re: A must read post !! [Re: renosteinke] #177732 05/10/08 10:59 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,335
S
sparkyinak Offline
Member
I just read all the posts and it occured to me check the neighbor's circuit entire length that tripped fron the breaker and the load. Power is some how is getting to ground and since it can not get back to the neighbors panel, it found it's way to the next house.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 05/10/08 11:00 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Re: A must read post !! [Re: sparkyinak] #177735 05/10/08 11:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 745
E
EV607797 Offline
Member
Pretty amazing. I love mind benders like this one. Let's keep them going. It keeps us all up to speed on the wacky things that are going on out there. Thanks for sharing this one Henry.


---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Re: A must read post !! [Re: Trumpy] #177769 05/11/08 08:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
H
harold endean Offline
Member
Sounds like stray voltage in the ground, that is showing up on metal pipes. I have seen it where the stray voltage came from the next door house. I have also seen where there was a pinhole opening in an underground primary service wire. There was 20-45 volts on all of the outdoor water faucets. Maybe you can get neighbors to shut down their service to see if the problem voltage goes away.

Re: A must read post !! [Re: harold endean] #177770 05/11/08 08:03 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
H
harold endean Offline
Member
Oops,
I didn't read the last post. Glad everything turned out OK.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
waymag
waymag
dallas, texas, USA
Posts: 69
Joined: January 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
275,614 Are you busy
209,547 Re: Forum
196,903 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3