ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#17751 12/02/02 01:25 PM
E
elecbob Offline OP
I figure that if I work 40 hours a week I get paid for about 33 hours. The rest of the time is spent travelling, shopping, and giving cost estimates.
When (if ever) do you other small timers charge for these activities?
Thanks
bob

S
It's the same for most all of us elecbob.

After a while one recognizes what is a waste of time and aviods it.

i.e.~
The 'Free Estimate' advertisement always makes the little devil on my left shoulder want to call in from an out of country # , and pose a very grey situation.

N
Can you run a small business on only 40 Hrs/wk?
60+ for me

ed
I don't own my own business, and I work 50+. Bob, God Bless you, if you can do it all in 33.
I realized the other day that I spend half my life doing something for work, and the other half, I spend on this forum... [Linked Image] If I could get paid to post....boy what a life that would be... [Linked Image]

Posted Keep Out,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
S
I try and make sure that I bill out a min of 40 hours. I usually work an additonal 15 in the office and another 5 gets chewed up running around. So I bill 40-45 and work 60. Thats life running your own business.

E
elecbob Offline OP
I didn't count the bookwork and the evening hours spent on the phone with customers. I try to keep the evening hours free to spent with the family cuz I'm on call 7 days a week. I didn't schedule anything for yesterday cuz I needed to clean and restock the truck. Ended up doing 3 service calls. Last year I had a choice to make. Either quit my job at the utility or quit doing this stuff. I quit the utility. The reason? In the office the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. Out here in the real world I can be creative. Problem solving and meeting new people are my cup of tea. People smile, say thank you and hand you a check. I like that.
Did I mention I get a pension?
Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard