ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
salty Offline OP
Can anyone explain how to bleed the capacitance charge off of 13.8 kV wires so I can do work on the transformer? The transformer is a GE (model GEI-79025M) and we are using 600 Amp dead break connectors (3M 5815 Series). The dead break connectors have capacitive test point in the dead end plug but it is not conductive so I cannot use it to bleed the capacitance charge. I cannot use a hot stick to remove the dead break connector because they are the bolt on type. The 13.8 kV feed is an underground loop system going from one transformer to the next, with a total of 16 transformers.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
J
Doesn't the utility usually take care of that when they open and ground the lines?
Joe

S
salty Offline OP
No. We are performing the function of the utility using inside wireman.

Last edited by salty; 04/24/08 06:48 PM.
What you need is someone competent enough to do this sort of work.
Using in-experienced staff will end in disaster.
HV work is not like any other sort of electrical work, it is a totally different animal!

H
Originally Posted by salty
Can anyone explain how to bleed the capacitance charge off of 13.8 kV wires so I can do work on the transformer? The transformer is a GE (model GEI-79025M) and we are using 600 Amp dead break connectors (3M 5815 Series). The dead break connectors have capacitive test point in the dead end plug but it is not conductive so I cannot use it to bleed the capacitance charge. I cannot use a hot stick to remove the dead break connector because they are the bolt on type. The 13.8 kV feed is an underground loop system going from one transformer to the next, with a total of 16 transformers.

First,isolating the cable to the best of your ability, and companies regs.( using system maps, open isolating switches etc..) Install grounded parking stands in padmount. Using the socket adapter on your stick ( i think probably 1") untighten and remove each elbow, pushing back onto grounding stand.
If you even have ONE question as to whether or not the cable is de-energized, and no test points are available..?

SPIKE GROUND.

Better to spend time making up new elbows, then time in the burn ward.

HP

High-Potter,
Your post asks more questions than it actually answers.
Electrical Contractor.Net shall not be responsible for any advice given with respect to HV equipment and lines if something should go wrong.
Having un-qualified people working on HV gear is just asking for trouble!
Advice like this is NEVER given over the NET, you haven't even seen the installation and are going on a guys word.
You want to take that responsibility on?

C
Mike,

Although your advice is, as usual, superbly astute, and I know most experienced sparkies reading this thread will understand it, I know and understand that capacitance discharge can kill ya really quickly, I can only say that for the original question is to cut off and then let the capacitors self discharge for at least 12 hours before going anywhere them. The only answer is to cut the feed to all the transformers for at least 12 hours before servicing the stuff.

Dave,
I just have a problem with folks that are not conversant with HV work, as in clearances and PPE.
It only takes one hit with a HV voltage to bring you to your knees and kill you.
Be careful, is all I can say.

Cat Servant
I have avoided this thread .... simply because HV stuff is beyond my competence.

Were I asked to work on HV gear, my answer is simple: NO. If I were told it was part of my job, I would insist on training ... and the training ought to be more than 'take this tool in there and twist the widget." Anyone who claims it's simple, any moron can do it - let them show you!

As an example, I recall the time the PoCo had to kill a transformer to a grocery store. After swinging the cover open, there was a plain steel panel, with only a simple switch handle visible. Did they just flip the handle? NO. The put on PPE, extended the hot stick, and turned the handle from 10 ft. away! One has to conclude that there were reasons for these precautions.

When it comes to HV, I don't even know how to flip a switch!

H
Originally Posted by Trumpy
High-Potter,
Your post asks more questions than it actually answers.
Electrical Contractor.Net shall not be responsible for any advice given with respect to HV equipment and lines if something should go wrong.
Having un-qualified people working on HV gear is just asking for trouble!
Advice like this is NEVER given over the NET, you haven't even seen the installation and are going on a guys word.
You want to take that responsibility on?

So Im confused here. Do you disagree with the method I discribed, or that advice given at all?

There are grown men on this board, who are professionals, and who post serious topics. You should either remove the "offending" original post, or open the topic up for discussion. ( And then you will get opinions from poster)
Situations like this ARE discussed over the net on a daily basis. Check out Powerlineman.com, Line-man.com. Heck even over on Mike Holt Forums.
I field questions at work regarding high voltage situations, and I answer them and offer my opinion to the best of my ability. I will do the same here.
Based on the posters specific situation, in no way did I offer "dangerous" advice. If you think I did, then I would be happy to discuss it. Email,phone...you name it.

HP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard