ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176470 04/02/08 07:42 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
I saw another post about these somewhere. http://www.cheetahspeed.com/
Just wondering if anyone has used these for their residential jobs and what they think of them. I watched some the installation videos on their site and I have to say, they look kind of cheesy, but I don’t know for sure because I’ve never used them. I like the concept, but something about just pounding devices and plates in with your hand doesn’t seem right to me.
Are they more expensive than standard boxes, devices and plates?
How well do the devices hold in the boxes?
I’m wondering if you could accidentally pull a receptacle out of the box by yanking on a cord cap.
Can't tell if they come in TR either.

J
Go to this site and search "cheetah'.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/

J
we use em at work and they are very nice we all like em they are alot quicker then normal devices. they have the back stabs on the devices for the wires and you save time because u dont have to screw the device to the box then screw the cover to device they snap in the box and the cover snaps to the device the switches are all plastic no ground screws on the switches. the receptacles have ground screws those are the only time we use a screw driver on cheetah devices. i think the devices and boxes are a lil more expensive but worth it in labor cost. they hold real well no pulling out by yanking on a cord. actually they are kinda a pain to take out because there is a screw that holds the lil black sqare tabs to the device that pop in the box.the covers stay on there is a lil indent to pop them off with a flat blade screw driver otherwise they wont pop off.

Z
Looks like they have all the angels covered with their videos, including installation, removal, and adjustment. I'll have to try these out. Thanks for the tip!

A
they use something like that in trailers(mobile homes). the rececpt and cover plate dont't seem to ever be flush with each other. which i'm assuming it's because they move when plugging and unplugging things.

K
KJay Offline OP
I guess if I were going to be doing a lot of new residential “cookie cutter” homes, I would probably look into these.
Right now it’s mostly remodels and service work so I don’t see any advantage in them at the moment. I didn’t see any Tamper Resistant [TR] availability info on the website, so that would rule them out anyway, at least in my area.

Link Copied to Clipboard