ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
For the same reason(s) you need to read the other prints - and not limit yourself to the electrical.

I know, sometimes it seems we are the only trade that even tries to look at the 'big picture.' Yet, we can't afford not to.

I have a picture thread going, where I had to rework some things, because I failed to pay adequate attention to the trim details.

We've all been surprised by that under-sink point-of-use water heater as well.

The NEC itself opened a whole can of worms, when they began to require certain door hardware on the doors of electrical rooms. (I have no idea even where to get such hardware!)

Now, looking at other codes ...

The ICC 'fire code' mandates the 'path of egress' have emergency lighting. This means some expensive fixtures on the OUTSIDE of the building.

The DOE 'energy calculator' (required here by the city) plays havoc with most lighting schedules.

The City here has gone 'tree crazy.' Something to keep in mind, as you make underground runs anywhere near parking lots.

NFPA 96, which covers kitchen cooking hoods, can play all manner of havoc with the HVAC, electrical, and alarm systems ... you really need to think this one through.

"LEED," as yet a vague, undefined code, is sure to much things up. If nothing else, look for a conflict with the 'egress lighting' requirement. "LEED," as I understand it, is a fancy way of saying 'green building.'

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Here's why we need to bother with other codes:

Electrical requirements that can be found in the ICC family:

Building Code Electrical Provisions

Chapter 1

106.3.5 – This section specifies minimum plan review criteria for building electrical provisions.

109.3 – This section specifies the required electrical inspections for a building.

111 – This section specifies requirements for connection and/or disconnection of service utilities.

Chapter 4

This chapter specifies special detailed requirements based on use and occupancy such as specific lighting, standby and emergency power, fire protection, lightning protection, ect...

Chapter 6

602 – This section specifies the 5 construction classification types which corresponds with Annex E of the National Electrical Code.

Chapter 7

712 – This section specifies requirements for maintaining fire ratings for membrane and through penetrations.

Chapter 9

903.4 – This section specifies system alarm and monitoring requirements for automatic sprinkler systems.

904.3 – This section states the electrical wiring of an automatic fire-extinguishing system shall comply with the NEC.

907 – This section specifies requirements for fire alarm and detection systems.

908 – This section specifies requirements for emergency alarm systems.

909 – This section specifies requirements for smoke control systems.

910 – This section specifies requirements for smoke and heat vent systems.

Chapter 10

1006 – This section specifies requirements for means of egress illumination and signs.

1008.1.3.2 – This section specifies electrical requirements for power-operated doors used as a means of egress.

1033 – This section covers special illumination and marking of means of egress and emergency lighting as required in day care facilities.

Chapter 11

11-4.1.3(17) – This section specifies requirements for required public telephones and accessibility to them.

11-4.3.11.4 – This section specifies requirements for visible and audible two-way communication for areas between rescue assistance and the primary enter to a building.

11-4.10 – This section specifies electrical accessibility requirements for elevators.

11-4.13.12 – This section specifies electrical requirements for automatic and power-assisted doors.

11-4.27 – This section specifies electrical requirements for accessibility of controls and operating mechanisms.

11-4.28 – This section specifies electrical requirements for accessibility of alarm systems.

11-4.31 – This section specifies accessibility requirements for public telephones.

Chapter 12

1205 – This section covers lighting requirements at the interior of buildings.

Chapter 13

13-412.1.ABC.2.6 – This section specifies energy efficiency requirements for swimming pool and spa temperature controls.

13-413 – This section specifies energy efficiency requirements to all building power distribution systems.

13-414 – This section specifies energy efficiency requirements for electric motors.
13-415 – This section specifies energy efficiency requirements for lighting systems in all buildings.

13-612 – This section specifies control requirements for specific water heating systems.

13-B 1.3.2 – This section specifies requirements for recessed equipment into insulated spaces.

Chapter 26

2606.7.5 and 2612.4.6.5 – These sections specify requirements for the quality and methods for use of light-transmitting plastics used on lighting fixtures.

Chapter 27

This chapter covers the general and emergency and standby power system requirements installed at all buildings and structures.

Chapter 30

3003 – This section specifies electrical requires for emergency operations of elevators and conveying systems.

3005 – This section covers specific electrical requirements for conveying systems.

3006 – This section covers electrical requirements in machine rooms.

Chapter 31

3102.8 – This section specifies electrical requirements for inflation systems at membrane structures.

3108.5 – This sections states radio and television towers shall be permanently and effectively grounded.

3112 – This section specifies special requirements for lighting, mirrors, and landscaping.

Chapter 33

3310 – This section specifies required stairway lighting on projects under construction.

Building Code – Residential Electrical Provisions

Chapter 3

R303.6 Stairway illumination – This section provides artificial light source requirements for interior and exterior stairways. R303.6.1 Light activation provides the control requirements for the artificial light source.

R309.6 Automatic garage door openers – This section requires automatic garage door openers to be listed in accordance with UL 325.

R313 Smoke Alarms – This section provides basic requirements for smoke alarm installation. The NFPA 72 is referenced for listing and installation information.

R317 Dwelling Unit Separation – This section provides requirements for maintaining fire rating requirements at through penetrations and membrane penetrations of fire rated assemblies. UL 1479 is referenced for compliance.

Chapter 6

R602.6 Drilling and notching – This section provides requirements on how notching and bored holes can be made in wood framing members.

R602.8 Fireblocking required – This section covers requirements for fire-stopping draft openings in wood-frame construction.

Chapter 13

M1303 Labeling Of Appliances – This section specifies the information required to be located on a label of mechanical appliances.

M1305.1.3.1 Electrical Requirements – This section provides the requirements for a lighting fixture and receptacle outlet provide for mechanical appliances installed in attic spaces. M1305.1.4.3 – provides the same provisions for equipment under floors.

M1307.5 Electrical Appliances – This section specifies electric mechanical appliances be installed per the NEC.

Chapter 20

M2005.3 Electric Water Heaters – This section specifies electric water heaters be installed per the NEC.

M2006 Pool Heaters – This section states electric pool and spa heaters shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Chapter 24

G2410 (309) Electrical – This section covers requirements for connection and grounding of fuel gas utilization equipment and gas piping systems.

G2411 (310) Electrical Bonding – This section covers requirements for gas pipe bonding.

G2441 (617) Pool and Spa Heaters – This section states fuel gas pool and spa heaters shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Chapter 33

This chapter specifies the provisions of the NFPA 70A, except article 80 shall be used as the enforced electrical code. The provisions of the NFPA 70 are also permitted to be enforced.

REFERENCED STANDARDS

NFPA 70 NEC, NFPA 70A, NFPA 72 Fire Alarm Code, NFPA 101 Life Safety Code

UL 174, UL 325, UL 923, UL 1261, UL 1479, UL 1995, UL 2017, UL 2158

Existing Building Code – Electrical Provisions

Chapter 3

Sections 303, 304, 305 Alternation Level – These sections specify the level of alteration (1, 2, or 3) as elected by the design professional or owner.

Chapter 4

401.3 Conformance – This section states repairs made to the electrical system shall not make the building less conforming to the code before the repair was made.

408 Electrical – This section indicates existing electrical wiring and equipment may be repaired or replaced with like materials. See the three exceptions to the section.

Chapter 5

508 Electrical – This section covers Level 1 Alterations to Residential R3 occupancies.

Chapter 6

604.4 Fire alarm and detection – This section specifies requirements for fire alarm systems and smoke alarms for Level 2 Alterations.

605.4.5 Emergency power source in Group I-3 – This section specifies requirements for emergency power for remote power unlocking capabilities in Group I-3 buildings.

605.7 Means of egress lighting – This section specifies means of egress lighting for Level 2 Alterations.

608 Electrical – This section covers the provisions for electrical requirements for Level 2 Alterations.

Chapter 7

704.2 Fire alarm and detection systems – This section specifies requirements for fire alarm and detection systems for Level 3 Alterations.

705.2 Means of egress lighting – This section specifies requirements for means of egress lighting for Level 3 Alterations.

708 Energy Conservation – This section specifies requirements for minimum energy conservation compliance for Level 3 Alterations.

Chapter 8

808 Electrical – This section specifies general electrical requirements when the occupancy of an existing building or part of an existing building is changed.

811 Light and ventilation – This section indicates light and ventilation requirements as required by the FBC must be met for the change of occupancy.

812.4.2.3 Fire-rated wall/ceiling – This section indicates fire-rated construction requirements as required by the FBC must be met for changes of occupancy to a higher hazard category as shown in the accompanying Table 812.4.2

Chapter 9

901.2 Creation or extension of nonconformity – This section states an addition shall not create or extend any nonconformity in the existing building in regard to the capacity of the electrical system.

904 Smoke Alarms in Occupancy Groups R3 and R4 – This section specifies smoke alarm installation requirements in additions.

Chapter 11

1102.0(5) – This section indicates the electrical system of a relocated or moved residential building need only meet the code in force at time of the original installations.

Chapter 13

1310.1 Stairways required – This section specifies requirements for a temporary lighted stairway at certain structures during construction progress.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
S
Thanks Bryan for the references. I will have to print this page to be sure I am aware of them all.

I think we all have the surprises and I am one of the engineers that come to the site only to be surprised by something that was slipped in or I missed! I don't like that, but it is good for me to be humbled (I wanted to put in my self talk but that would be to harsh, also, I am not balding - my head is just to fat for my hair).

Reno, your points are well taken.

I chuckled as I just recieved our 2008 NFPA 1194 update which conflicts with 2008 NFPA 70 (our dearly beloved NEC) on the placement of electrical pedestals. If you are accurate with your tape measure you can meet both codes.

LEED, though not code we are required to meet once we reach a certain size building, requirements in remote settings definately create conflict with the building codes on exits when I must have 0% uplight and I am required to calulate all aimable and unknown fixtures as 100% uplight.

It is also fun to meet 30% below ASHRAE 90.1 on lighting calculations due to presidential Executive Orders and still meet minimum lighting levels to be able to see to work.

I am just so thankful for IAEI and others like this site that help me keep a tentative handle on things.

S
And please don't forget the IBC/IRC structural codes, as we notch, bore and otherwise weaken structural members that the structural engineer would rather not be cut at all... In fact, we may want to politely remind our plumbing colleagues of the same, before they center-bore a structural 2x6 to fit 3" PVC pipe...

As for me, I have to not only contend with ICC and NEC, but a minefield of federal requirements and foreign codes. I don't care how experienced you are, it's impossible for one person to know them all. I run across new codes and requirements I'm bound to practically every time I crack a new reference. I'd say 99% of the time, we're in compliance even without knowing the requirement, just because it's good practice. (Also, it helps that the NEC is typically far more restrictive than any foreign codes.) But those handful of times, it can get to be a real pain in the ass...

S
Bryan

Thanks for those references. I am continuing to develop a class for electricians that is called Beyond the NEC. Those code sections will be a big help. Some I had but others I don't think I did.

Thanks

Larry

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
B
No problem guys.

I actually put this list together for an apprenticeship course, but eventually found myself given it to engineers, architects, and contrators. Make sure to cross-reference with the 2006 ICC codes. My sections were derived from the 2004 Florida Building Code which is based on the 2003 ICC codes. Some sections may have changed or been moved.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
A
I have to think that one of the most frequently violated codes by Electricians is the often overlooked UBC. I have a lot of examples but I'll stick to just one since it is routinuely violated by almost everyone.

A customer in a commercial business wants a receptacle added so you fish it in for them. We all do this every day, no big deal right? The wall has double layer sheetrock so you need to use madison clips/battleships with the long tines. You install the receptacle, collect the money or get the billing form signed and go on your way. You did a good job right?

WRONG!, you just compromised a two hour fire wall and are in violation of the UBC. The UBC says that boxes in two hour walls must be "firmly" attached to a stud. Please note that you can still use cut-in boxes, but when you cut into the wall it must be against a stud and the box must then be screwed to the stud, and that only metallic boxes can be used.

Also, the UBC states that boxes in two hour walls must be at least 24" center to center. This applies to both sides of the wall in question. The reason for this rule is to ensure that there is only one penetration of one side of the wall in any stud space. Since studs are always either 16" or 24" on center, requireing boxes to be 24" apart ensures that no two boxes will be within the same stud compartment of the wall.

The last time you cut a box into a double layer wall did you fasten it to a stud? Did you look at the other side of the wall first to make sure there weren't any existing boxes within 24" of your cut-in location? Did you add your cut-in alongside an existing data/phone/power box that was within 24"?

We have all done this, I did it routinely until I became aware that I was violateing the UBC and my local fire prevention code. Since then I have noticed it as a violation and have to admit seeing it thousands of times.

Strip malls and commercial lease warehouse spaces are a great example. The individual tenent spaces are almost always seperated by two hour firewalls. How many times have you added cut-ins to those division walls without being aware that you were violating the code and opening yourself to liability?

G
Several years ago our IAEI lunch group had a guy from (USG?) who explained a lot about fire rated assemblies. I think everyone should see that show. The main lesson we took away is that squirting red caulk around a penetration does not make a fire wall whole again. These things are all assemblies that must be built or modified in the compliant way. There is a book and a web site that describes the various assemblies that comprise a penetration seal.
Bryan probably has more on this. He probably got the guy for us wink

Greg Fretwell
L
LK Offline
Not just the electrical code, and in New Jersey we have a whole group of Rehap codes, on top of all the ones brian noted, our CEU's classes are busy every new cycle trying to keep up with all the changes, and not just the electrical codes.

Link Copied to Clipboard