ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Rewired #176386 03/30/08 10:06 PM
L
REWIRED, Thats plain wrong!!! You want me at the shop at 7:30. On the clock at 7:30. What if the job is 1 hour away? as is typical when the local jobs are'nt around.
Thats bull bleep!!!!
If I get there at 6 and WANT TO LOAD, Then I'm paid from 6! IF NOT.. I'LL WAIT untill 7:30!!!!

Please, Don't give me the..."But Leland you don't understand...." Crap, I DO!! 22 years and have never not been paid for actual time worked. And never will!!!

This burns my nose, fries my A#$ What ever! If you hire someone to work,When they work you pay them. PERIOD!!!
Your getting screwed, and worse, your allowing it!!!!

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
leland #176420 03/31/08 11:56 PM
S
My policy: If start time is 8am, you're on the clock at 8 am. However, if you show up for work before 8 am and kill some time by cleaning out the van or whatever, don't expect the start time to be adjusted for that - it's your choice and you're not expected to start work until 8am.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #176438 04/01/08 07:28 PM
J
JoeyD Offline OP
It sounds like rewired gets paid to travel back to the shop at the end of the day. Thats the oposite of what I have been use to but the same thing.
I would not work for a company that will not pay for any hours I am working, getting loaded for a job, cleaning the company van, cleaning the shop, ordering stock, time clocking. These are all things that an employee should be paid for because they are woking when doing them.
The company in question has two other employee's, one who doesn't seem to mind doing all these things for free and the other who thought this was how the industry is due to his lack of time in the trade.
I use to work for this company and was paid to travel to the job and I donated the ride home at the end of the day.

JoeyD #176439 04/01/08 07:54 PM
W
I've worked for 2 companies here in Ma. Both at extreme opposites. the company I started with and worked my apprenticeship with and left a few years after getting my tickets,(MA & R.I.). I left for slightly over a year to do Fire and Security. The company I started with is very large, 500+ employees. Whereas the company I was at had 6-10 at any given time, kinda a revolving door operation with employees.Anywho. I didn't realize how sweet of a deal I have now and would have had if I didn't quit. I get a van to drive to work, a gas card.In return for one week of on call 24/7, Every 10 weeks. I start at 7am, usually, and usually ends at 3 or 3:30 depending upon If we work through lunch. If I need to pick up stock, or conduct buisness at one of our shops its all done during "work" hours. if I donate 15,20, or even 30 minutes ocassionally it all washes in the end. cause believe me there are days I'm done 15, 20, or 30 minutes early. On the flip side of the coin The small shop I worked for We arrived to depart 7 am most days load the van and drive to site. The boss was very nitpicky about leaving after 7 if we needed to load up or what not.And god forbid THE BOSSLADY sees the van atthe gas station/dunkin donuts man she didn't like that. And the commute back to the shop was for free, and we the guys in charge of jobs, even got to prep for jobs on our own free time after work atthe shop. IE. look at prints, order materials, rumage through stock in shop for work to be done. SO needless to say I gave that place slightly over 1 year just to make sure I wasn't being hasty now I'm back to company A. And by the way there were more than several ocassions in which we departed the shop at 7am and arrived back well after the 5pm. time the office folks left. for 8 hrs pay, bullsh!t. Thats my 4 cents...since that was a long post

WireNuts29 #176450 04/01/08 11:28 PM
L
Sixer: your right, If I decide to show up early and clean..I'm on my own!
BUT, If my employer tells me to come here and get the van loaded and be on the job at.. Thats quite a different issue!! On the clock at arrival.

JoeyD: FROM the shop (at 7) to the job, paid. From the job to the shop (3:30) paid! If you are required to, go to and return to the shop, thats paid time. Otherwise... "I'll see ya in the AM".

If not, then ,from 7-3:30 paid. If you elect to get a ride,To save you fuel, then no compensation is required.

WIRENUTS': Start whith a Capital 'N'? Or 'A'?

If I leave early, my decision. I am to be at the job at 7.
I leave at 3:30. Travel home is also on me. But, their truck and fuel!!!!

leland #176519 04/05/08 12:04 AM
R
leland:
Yes I agree we are getting screwed over.. No doubt about that.. I wont give you the " but you don't understand" bit but I do try to make it work out "even " in the end. Such as if I know what I will be doing the next day I will make sure I am set up the night BEFORE so all I have to do is show up, get my van and scoot.. Its funny the boss doesn't really care what my "punch out" time is.. I think they are just worried about "start times" on invoices or whatever, and thats not my department and never will be LOL I just do the work.

In all fairness my boss is pretty good to me, in his defence, he has shelled out for me to get my drivers licence upgraded to a "DZ" ( small truck with air brake) and has let me borrow several pieces of equipment including the bucket and boom trucks on weekends and has even told me to take my work vehicle home on more than one occasion when he found out my personal vehicle was in the shop for repairs.. That is NOT heard of by my boss in the past EVER! Fuel? "Don't worry about it" he says.. Need a day off? " No problem". It is a very small company I work for, and I do think a little "give and take" goes a LONG way.

A.D

Rewired #176557 04/06/08 08:51 AM
L
"In all fairness my boss is pretty good to me, in his defence"

Then thats all that matters,oppinions don't.
You have a good working relationship with your boss and an unwriten agreement. Great. Ive had the same with some of mine. (perhaps I missed that earlier)

If it works for you and him, what else matters?

leland #176598 04/07/08 09:49 AM
Are employers required to pay employees at the regular rate of pay (electrician's wages), or can they pay at a lesser rate for drive time?

(That's assuming the employee makes more than the minimum wage) smile

electure #176600 04/07/08 10:35 AM
B
Originally Posted by electure
Are employers required to pay employees at the regular rate of pay (electrician's wages), or can they pay at a lesser rate for drive time?

(That's assuming the employee makes more than the minimum wage) smile

If the boss requires the employee to be somewhere at a certain time (eg the shop at 7am) then that is when his work day starts *whatever* it is the boss is requiring him to do there (load material/safety meeting/pick up helper). This follows through for the entirety of the work day including the time to return to the shop if that is what the boss is requiring him to do.

All the middle of the day 'waste' (windshield time, waiting for an inspector, waiting for keys to access a work area, call backs) whatever else may come up the onus is on the boss to utilize their employees time to his best advantage; and if he can't (for whatever reason) then the onus is on him to suck it up and take it.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard