ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
I have recently acquired a 1926 GE wiring device catalog, and I can definitively say that polarized receptacles not only existed back then; they were the standard.

Polarized plugs existed, too. They were the "pony cap" variety, which you may have found on some antique table lamps. (You know, the kind that are easier to unplug if you have long fingernails, and the receptacle is deenergized.) They were infrequently ordered, of course. My dad says he never saw a polarized plug until he bought a new TV in 1978 (the year they first saw widespread use). The oldest one I've seen was part of a NuTone heater-fan that I removed from my 1971 house.

For that matter, the grounding T-slot pattern that I have referred to as the NEMA 5.5-15R was available at least as early as spring of 1950, and these would take a 5-15 plug.

The "circle m" logo means this quintuplex device is the Monowatt brand, seen in a 1950 catalog. The GE equivalent is found in their 1936 catalog, but neither it nor the corresponding slimline plug is found in the 1926 catalog.

So does the quintuplex date to 1928? Maybe. But my house is full of electrical materials that didn't exist in 1971.

T
I found three of these in the theatre I work in. The theatre itself was built 1926-1928 (it took ~2 years), and the receptacles were in the projection booth... still wired with the original wiring. I would say the 1928 guess is the best bet.

As for 1920's wiring, anyone have any online resources they really like? I'm finding a bunch of oddities, and would like to know their history.

Y
As for 1920's wiring, anyone have any online resources they really like? I'm finding a bunch of oddities, and would like to know their history.

This is about it. If you've found any old catalogs, codebooks, or textbooks, by all means share what you know. It's kinda DIY. I recommend any old books by Terrell Croft as a starting point (e.g. early editions of the American Electricians' Handbook). You might also check out Kilokat's site.

B
Originally Posted by trobb

Go to:

http://antiquesockets.com/nec.html

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard