ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 73 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Harold:
Please let me know where you obtained the above information.
I have an NJEIA Meeting coming up and would like to add a powerpoint slide on this subject.

Stay safe

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I replied to you with an e-mail, but I will also reply here. I was told by the Dept. Of Community Affairs here in NJ that when new codes are up for adoption, the public has a say about what we/the state should keep or change in the code book. I am not sure how true it is yet, but I have a lot to say about the 2008 NEC.

Cat Servant
Today I took my 'encouraged' update class. The speaker asserted that NECA (or Nema) has a study that concluded that the additional cost for using these receptacles in your 'typical' house id only $39. He also asserted that the "TR" receptacles will cost only $0.27 more than the $0.75 we pay now for residential grade devices.

When I replied with the prices I had received from the parts houses, he insisted I was asking the wrong people, and that the parts houses were misleading me.

I report - you decide laugh

Originally Posted by renosteinke
... He also asserted that the "TR" receptacles will cost only $0.27 more than the $0.75 we pay now for residential grade devices...

I thought this guy had to be nuts, but take a look at this Levion CR! $1.19 each! shocked

Cat Servant
I know, it's hard to believe ... but this is one of those times I'd like to be wrong!

I can't wait to take that web page with me to the supply house Monday laugh

S
Mass production should bring the price down even further; there's no reason it should add more than a few cents. I'd expect the $.39 special will rise to $.45 or so. And that there will be a sharp increase in calls to come and replace them when they break laugh

H
I have seen on several other sites where some states are refusing to adopt the 2008 NEC. Some states are stopping with the 2005 NEC, and other states are putting amendments to not use the TP receptacles. It looks like some people are getting fed up with too many rules and regs that are set up because of manufactures suggestions.

B
Originally Posted by harold endean
I have seen on several other sites where some states are refusing to adopt the 2008 NEC. Some states are stopping with the 2005 NEC, and other states are putting amendments to not use the TP receptacles. It looks like some people are getting fed up with too many rules and regs that are set up because of manufactures suggestions.

It now appears the state Florida will NOT be adopting the 2008 NEC anytime in the near future. The FBC is indicating they may wait until the next code cycle in 2010.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
G
I think we are overdue for a moratorium on all code changes for 10 years except for fixing language and inconsistencies. There is so much churn in these codes that the building officials are as baffled as the contractors about what the codes really say.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

You should know me better than anyone on this board. We have been friends for many years. You know that I don't get excited about a lot of subjects and that I stop in here now and then for many years. However this new code change is getting very out of hand. The code making panels keep changing things year after year. I understand fully that we are trying to make our world safe, but at what cost? When is enough too much? Trying to push TP receptacles is now getting a little out of hand. ( In my opinion) Let's try to keep the focus on safety and new equipment to help keep us safe, but let's not jam this stuff down our throats. My state hasn't enforced the AFCI's yet, so I don't even know if they are worth it yet or not. My state has a lot of old houses with a lot of old wiring. Knob and tube (K&T) was the norm, back 100 years ago. Many EC's don't even know what K&T is and how to work with it. As for pool wiring, sec. 680 of the NEC keeps changing from code cycle to code cycle.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard