ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
so none of you have ever installed an outlet inside a cabinet for low voltage lighting transformers? you have to hide them somewhere, and if there isn't a basement then that's where they end up. never had an inspector not pass it.

S
Well, I see your problem, low voltage! 124V? pft, use a standard 146V receptacle like the marketing folks at Ionic used, and you'll get your full 1875 Watts from it.

J
What about a receptacle for a hot water recirculation pump? It you install one of these after market it either needs to be installed at sink location furthest from the hot water heater or at the HWH with a thermal crossover valve at the remote location which is more expensive. If you pulled from the existing GFCI down to the under cabinet location and either hard wired the pump or used someting like a 7-15 configuration receptacle to keep Jo-blow from plugging in, do you think the AHJ would pass it?

W
I put a receptacle in a drawer once. Homeowner said she did not like to unplug her hair dryer or curling iron so she stored them in the drawer forever plugged in. The AHJ passed it! I dont like the idea but it was not my house.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Elviscat,
The code required recepticle will be about 5 feet to the right and below the cabinet.

Will it meet the requirements?

210.52 (D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop.

T
Offhand I can't think of any violation to having an outlet inside a cabinet. "Intended use" is a new code concept for me (any specific violation anyone?). I put microwave outlets in the cabinet above the range. It wouldn't keep anyone from using it for a toaster or hairdryer.

Dave

T
tkb Offline
Originally Posted by Rewired
I would definately check with the AHJ... Where I am, unless it is a "permanently installed" appliance such as a dishwasher or a garburetor and the receptacle is intended for said appliance, you are NOT permitted to install a receptacle in a cabinet.. The exception to the rule I believe is if the receptacle is only energized when the cabinet door is FULLY open then it is allowed ( this is intended for those "appliance garages" you see in kitchens). Reason being its too easy for someone to mistakenly shove an appliance such as a toaster or in your case in a bathroom a hair dryer or curling iron thats still on into the cabinet, along with all sorts of other things (linens and other "spare parts"), close the door, heat builds and a fire starts.

A.D

Do you have a code article that prohibits this installation?

TKB

tkb #175662 03/07/08 05:45 PM
R
Rule 26-710 (i) of the Canadian Electrical Code states:

A receptacle shall not be placed in a cabinet, cupboard or similar enclosure except where:
(i) The receptacle is part of a factory built enclosure.
(ii)The receptacle is provided for use with a specific type of appliance that is INTENDED FOR USE WITHIN THE ENCLOSURE.
(iii)The receptacle is intended for use with a microwave oven; and..

(j) Except for cord connected dishwashers, in line water heaters, garbage disposal units, and other similar appliances, receptacles installed in cupboards, cabinets or similar enclosures in accordance with paragraph (i)(ii) SHALL BE DE-ENERGIZED UNLESS THE ENCLOSURE DOOR IS IN THE FULLY OPEN POSITION.

So, the way I understand it, you may have a receptacle installed in a cupboard or cabinet, but unless its a dishwasher, garburetor, or the like, the receptacle MUST be de-energized unless the door to the cabinet is wide open, and that shaver chargers and the like are not intended to be used IN such enclosures, and even if you were to, they wouldn't charge with the door closed anyway.
A hair dryer or curling iron could be stored and plugged in but as stated, the receptacle would have to be de-energized unless the door is wide open, not partially open or closed down on the cord.

A.D

T
tkb Offline
I did not see that you are in Canada until after I posted.

This requirement is not something I have seen before.
I looks like you are correct IF the OP was in Canada.

I don't belive that the NEC prohibits this installation in the USA.

TKB

tkb #175742 03/10/08 08:35 AM
E
found out that they do NOT want this in the flush-mount medicine cabinet, they want it in a surface-mount cabinet above the toilet. They had just wanted me to provide a receptacle behind the cabinet, and they would have a hole in it to reveal said receptacle, I nixed this plan due to flammable material between the face of the outlet and the "surface."

so now I have a couple new issues, IMO this cabinet is still permanently mounted and therefore effectively a part of the structure, and conviniently the new placement makes it extremely inconvinient to use this outlet for anything done in front of the mirror (i.e. hairdrying) and I'm thinking of just securing a wire near one corner of the planned cabinet, then cutting a neat rectangular hole w/ a jigsaw in the back of the cabinet/sheetrock, and securing an old work box in a way so that the wings grip the sheetrock. as far as I can tell this presents no clear code issues, I (well my boss...) will talk to the AHJ when the customer decides the final hardware for the bathroom

E57: sorry, 5' is nowhere close, I was tired and got my measurments a bit wonky

TKB: nope, not quite far enough north

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard