ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
How would you like to work on windmills like the one in the video?

I saw an ad recently, where the operator was offering the 'working end of the wrench' $17/hr, and supervisors $25/hr. You also have the pleasure of working 200 ft. up, in some really rotten weather.

Or did anyone think those things were 'plant and forget?'

S
I use "the google" for my data and some presumptions for my calcs. There are many, many factors that would need to be yet to hammered out. Just like in my area and I am sure in other parts of the world, once the price of oil surpasses electrical rates, more and more folks will convert to electrical heat. This would then increase the size of the solar array needed in the back yard. My numbers are just the starting point. I just thought another way to crunch the numbers. I post my findings when I am done.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
The only real solution to our energy problems is nuclear power. Solar and wind are only serving as distractors.

G
This thread started as a interesting video of an interesting failure of a machine...let's not allow it to go downhill into eco-fighting.

All of the technologies and power sources have their good points and their bad points...there is no single solution that will please everybody.

Ghost307
E
personally I come down on the side of nuclear...

but some of the new technologies coming up in this field would go a long way to make solar and wind far more viable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor

A
Interesting twists and turns in this thread. As a retiree from the nuclear industry I definitely favour nuclear. When all things are considered it's the cheapest and safest way of large scale electricity generation. Solar and wind have their place, especially in small remote installations. For example I have a 50 Watt solar panel on a houseboat. Keeps the batteries charged up so I can listen to music, watch DVD's (life's tough ain't it?), charge up cell phones, laptops, etc., and not have to run the engine.

Andy

It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
L
Originally Posted by ghost307
This thread started as a interesting video of an interesting failure of a machine...let's not allow it to go downhill into eco-fighting.

All of the technologies and power sources have their good points and their bad points...there is no single solution that will please everybody.

So If I mention my Ex-wifes "hot wind" (b #@$%)Creating an enormouse amount of waisted energy, that would be wrong?

Understood. (Sorry)

I too think alternatives are needed, some are out there, how realistic at this point? I don't know. I would like my wind to work for me, Honey Pie and neighbors won't go for it.

That is ,I believe the big challenge. Moving beyond the " Not in my backyard" syndrome.

G
I agree with some efficient storage, solar and wind become attractive but I am not sure what efficient storage would be. In the end it might be hydrogen if you could get in and out at a reasonable loss rate. Pumping water is another idea but that is pretty inefficient use of your energy.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard