ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
That scaffold doesn't meet safety regs here.
This was taken in Northern Virginia. I'm pretty sure they go by OSHA standards, so it doesn't meet safety regs there, either.

The way it's set up not only did they have to crawl over the edge of the top platform to get on it, but they had to lean out away from that platform (with no rails) to get to the light.

-John

We just rented some scaffolding from the Orange Box to do some work onstage, and it didn't come with a ladder, just the rungs built into the upright. It did come with rails and toeplates, however. I guess rental houses aren't required to provide OSHA-compliant equipment.

I
Originally Posted by noderaser
I guess rental houses aren't required to provide OSHA-compliant equipment.

Your right, they are not.

It is up to the renter to comply with any and all OSHA rules.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire #175301 02/26/08 03:29 PM
W
I used to turn that type of work down as I couldn't safely reach it. I bought a 1989 bucket truck that once belonged to Verizon for doing this type of work. Got to a job this winter where I had to relamp a few 18 to 20 ft tall yd lights. Thought I'd better make sure the bucket went up and down before going to the top. Went up a few feet, wouldn't come down:). rotated it left, wouldn't go right:). Hopped out of the bucket and tried the solenoids manually and 2 of them were frozen stuck. Finally got them loosened up and it worked fine. This summer I've got to get the moisture out the system:)

Umm,
Where are the pics?

J
Originally Posted by noderaser
We just rented some scaffolding from the Orange Box to do some work onstage, and it didn't come with a ladder, just the rungs built into the upright. It did come with rails and toeplates, however. I guess rental houses aren't required to provide OSHA-compliant equipment.

Using the rungs to climb is not a problem if the spacing is proper. Older scaffold with spacing over 1 foot does not meet the requirement.

Admin #175487 03/02/08 04:40 PM
2 guys 10per/hr= $20
1 electrician $50per/hr=$100.

$120. to do job

This is if the scafolding is owned and doesn't need transportedand is only one or 2 units needing service.
For example I do lots of work for a private school and they have maintance personal that would set this up for me and all I would do is climb up there and change the ballast. Heck I think the guys might even be salary. Or I could rent boom truck or lift for $250. for 1 day or $750 a week., and I would have to pick it up. or pay $50 for delivery and $50 for pickup.
I just went through this with them about 3 weeks ago. However I did end end up with the lift as we came up with some other projects to use it on. Like fix the ball on top of flag pole. Troubleshoot riding rink lights and some others.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
W
at one time, we all had our first job!!!!

S
Originally Posted by whocares
at one time, we all had our first job!!!!
And everyone typing on this board lived to see the second, too. Others... maybe not so lucky. And with a contraptions like we see so often here, survival is depending entirely on luck!

S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
I agree ... even for a single fixture, the use of a lift of some sort beats the dickens out of scaffolds and ladders.

....Over this side of the pond the Euro meddlers are trying to eliminate the use of scaffolding and ladders on construction sites resulting in a boom in access equipment which is great news for me as an access engineer.

Scissor lifts are great, but it's amazing just how little 'crown' in the pavement will set off the 'tip' indicator on them. Getting the scissor back on the trailer is also fun.

....Most ansi spec scissors allow 5 degree of tilt on both axis but Euroland CE spec machines only allow 3 degrees sideways tilt and 5 degrees front to back. The french also insist on overload cutouts and all manner of limit switches that can cause problems on sites. The best scissors for loading and unloading onto trailers and trucks are the JLG ES range of scissors, They have traction motors instead of hydraulic wheel motors like Genies and Uprights. Most 'fun' is had when using transport that is not specifically designed for access equipment making a good winch essential for your own safety I've had scissors sideways, spinning, running away from me and all manner of scary situations on the ramps of a truck but have thankfully managed to keep them rubber side down. most 19' scissors weigh about 1500 to 1800kg. Add at least another 1000kg for a 26' or 32'. You start talking about some serious weight when you move the big decks or the booms.

The best solution for me has proved to be a towable boom lift. Cost is an issue ... around here, renting one costs about $50 more than the $130 needed for a scissor lift and trailer combo. You also get to invest in a harness, if you don't already have one.
Yet, for that extra cost .... it's easy to visit a number of sites, and the boom will usually reach quite easily over and bushes or set-back the pole may have.

...I'm not a big fan of trailer mounts as they are not self propelled which lends to operators leaning too far out the basket to finish that awkward last termination or fixing screw rather than lower the boom and reposition it.

It's not just a matter of climbing. As the picture shows, the lights are usually set off from the pole. You need some place up there to place your parts .... and some of those parts are a bit heavy.

Most scissors have extending decks and Z booms are great for up and over work. I agree that some machines have limited storage space for tools and parts. Most machines are rated for two persons and a small toolbox (500lbs)

Sorry if I've gone a wee bit off topic. If anybody needs advice on access equipment just ask.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard