ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174904 02/16/08 09:38 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
These where for a pool motor, pool lights, individual conductors are to the pool shed lights and receptacle. They go into the concrete patio with the line sets. I was called in because the owners man couldn't get the gfi for the pool light to work. I think he was going to use the gfi as the switch. I demo everything possible and did my best to make code compliant. I unfortunatly dashed outa there and didn't get after shots.

Ob

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Must've run out of connectors, and staples...

...And "common" sense.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
E
I don't get it. Even people who don't know what it should look like would spot that mess from a mile away. I just don't see how the people who do these quality installations think that they are doing it properly!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
H
Just where are the loose conductors going to?

Cliff
E
Oh, and one other thing. It would appear that this guy took the existing black 10/2 for the water heater and created this sub panel contraption. Notice that there are only single-pole breakers in the panels. My guess is that he's managed to pass this circuit through to the piece of 12/2 feeding the water heater. All of the breakers and other wiring are "branch" wiring feeding from these "sub panels".

What also concerns me is what appears to be a run of yellow CSST for gas that's flopping in the breeze in the background. That's supposed to be a product that is restricted to licensed and certified installers, but we all know how that goes.

One thing we know for sure: This guy walked out of the big box store proud as a peacock with a whole shopping cart full of fittings. He probably had his wife and kids along and had them convinced that he knows what he's doing. His wife probably bragged to her friends about how "handy" her husband is. I'm sure he's one of those who "doesn't need any assistance" at the store. I have to bite my lip every time that I see these jokers in the store.

Wow, this one is truly a classic. What's scary is that there is one of these installations on every street corner in America. In my fairly new, yet tiny neighborhood of 21 homes, I've seen the wiring done by the "professional" basement finishing contractors. Yellow Romex for lighting circuits is usually the first clue; they think that by using larger wire than is required makes it "better".

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
The wires go out with the line sets into a patio slab. The owner thinks they go to the pool shed. this was all 1 110v circuit with the following loads. pool light, pool motor, master bedroom receptacles, small workroom lights and receptacle, pool shed light?, The water heater had a flying splice on the wall opposite(not shown) 10/2 Rx to 12/2 Rx then the connection as u see them no disconnect. There was also a feed from another circuit coming in that was opposite phase and this kept tripping the cb. That was the reason they called he couldn't figure out why it was tripping. The pool light never worked fortunatly.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Originally Posted by EV607797
One thing we know for sure: This guy walked out of the big box store proud as a peacock with a whole shopping cart full of fittings. He probably had his wife and kids along and had them convinced that he knows what he's doing. His wife probably bragged to her friends about how "handy" her husband is. I'm sure he's one of those who "doesn't need any assistance" at the store. I have to bite my lip every time that I see these jokers in the store.

Yeah, he's handy...

...Until the fire department shows up...

...Wait, no, because then he'll probably build the new pool shed and do this all over again. I hate never-ending cycles.

Ian A.

R
LOL Ian!!
Actually.. if he is this "handy", I say its going to be a draw on weather the fire dept shows up to put out the shed, OR the house!!!

R
Wait a minute! that panel on the right, I see what looks like 3 breakers with line and load lugs? Westinghouse brand it almost looks like... I bet that came out of some factory somewhere! And it looks like the one on the left is a 2-pole with the handle tie broken off and a single pole pole beside it and wired in some way only a "know it all destroy it yourselfer" could do. Same with the other panel, not only is it horrid, whats with them jumpers across the line side of both panels... Scary!

A.D

Originally Posted by Rewired
Actually.. if he is this "handy", I say its going to be a draw on weather the fire dept shows up to put out the shed, OR the house!!!

laugh LOL!

Originally Posted by Rewired
Wait a minute! that panel on the right, I see what looks like 3 breakers with line and load lugs? Westinghouse brand it almost looks like... I bet that came out of some factory somewhere!

Great, he's not only handy, but cheap to boot!

Ian A.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard