ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Originally Posted by SolarPowered
One alternative to look at is Electronic Theatre Controls' "Source Four" ellipsoidal spotlights. I believe they have units designed for use outdoors, and also units with metal halide lamps. I don't know if the two features are available in the same unit.

These can give you long throw in conjunction with a lot of light.

Hey Solar, I checked out there website. Pretty inpressive. Couldnt tell if there stuff was more then damp location rated though. Suckers can throw some light though.

HP

Won't the designer specify what fixtures he wants?

Yes, S4s are pretty good little units. However, there are other fixtures out there (at least for theatrical use) that are just as or more efficient, and have other nice features.

R
Since there is power already on the tank, why not use that same power to power up some small wattage spotlights mounted on the catwalk around the tank? Having the power up there also will mean there is conduit run from below, so one could pull another circuit up if needed. I am assumming that there is a catwalk, in order to service antennas and obstruction lights. We have several tanks lit this way.

Rick Miell

H
Rick,
Interesting idea. For decorative lighting, I can see using something similiar.Our tower does not however, have a catwalk, in the classic sense.

The tower looks very much like this one.

http://content.answers.com/main/con.../24/150px-Carmel-indiana-water-tower.jpg

Access is through the middle, up a LONG ladder, and then with a small "crows nest" at the very top. Only about 8 feet in diameter, for the antennas. At the top, it's about 50' out to the edge of the structure, completely untethered.

There is limited power in the "shaft", just enough for lighting the inside well with the ladders.

It aint an easy one.

HP

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard